Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 08-08-2008, 08:48 AM
TE Newbie

Default how much should i charge a photo?

hello fellow photographers,
i recently have been contacted by someone who would like to pay for one of my photos. Since i am an amateur photographer even 50$ would be a profit but what would be a reasonable price?
best regards,
sifis bekas
Old 08-08-2008, 10:49 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: how much should i charge a photo?

It doesn't matter whether you are amateur or professional, if the perrson wants your photograph you should receive the appropriate rate.

You need to consider what the other person is uing it for. Is it a one-off usage or will they want repeat access? Is it for local or global advertising - if it's the latter, it should command a much greater fee. If it will bring repeat business to you, then it might be worth striking a deal.

Whatever you do, don't sign over copyright. That is yours forever. Anyone who wants to use your photo is effectively asking for a license to use it in a specific way for a specific purpose for a specific number of times.

Good luck and I hope you agree on a fair deal.

Paul.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:16 AM
TE Expert

Indeed it would be unetic to give away towards people who wants to make a living out of photography. Not when want to support a reliable help organisation, reliable, cause many of these organisations also became a business.

Practical
in earlier discussions some proposed a fee of 300$/photo
but
since the market is over floaded by the digi, I think this kind of fee is hard to maintain.

You could take the use in consideration but what is prior is your effort/work/quality. As thus a fee could be maintained fixed, no matter what use, after all it's your work that counts.

So your fee could be between 50 to 300$ or better somewhere in between as average depending on the photo, your work.

To give an idea, BBC propsed themself a fee of 150$/photo at 200px width on the net.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:54 PM
TE Senior Member

Last year I sold an Image from Cape Verde.It is published in a geography textbook of a university in south California.
I recieved 105$.A few month later,around Christmas,they asked for permission to crop it a few milimeters,which I allowed.
I was happy about the money for a click of 1/160 sec and two e-mails.
Leo
Old 08-09-2008, 03:41 AM
TE Junior Member

I am an amateur also, and was once surprised when a Belgian non-profit organization asked me just months(!) after I joined TE if they can use one of my photos for one of their books and offered to send me a copy of their book. I plainly agreed without any other conditions but don't know what happened. They didnt ask for a copy so I assumed they downloaded the e-copy from TE. Until now still waiting for something out of what happened. Just want to share...

Rgds, Alex
Old 08-09-2008, 05:28 PM
TE Expert

I am amateur too. A university requested a copy of one of my TE photos and asked for a price, so I indicated US$60 to be donated to a charity organization which they thought they could not afford and so gave up the idea of using the photo for a cover of seminar proceedings. Well, at least I did not ask some exorbitant price.

regards, bill
Old 08-11-2008, 06:22 PM
TE Newbie

thank you all for your suggestions and help
when i joined TE some years ago, i couldn't imagine that i could sell a photo someday
best regards
sifis bekas
Old 08-24-2008, 04:19 AM
TE Senior Member

I have sold rights to two photos which the buyers found on TE. The amount seems to depend a lot on the use of the photo. One was used in a Lonely Planet photo book (not guidebook) which was sold worldwide, and it was a full (small, about 15 cm square) page in the book. I got about $350. The other was used by a Swiss bank for its brochure, so that's much less wide distribution. I got $125. If it's for a nonprofit you might consider letting them use it for free.

--Ken
Old 08-30-2008, 03:21 PM
TE Senior Member

Lonely Planet was less genreous with me ;-)
Indeed it depends a lot on who the photos are sold to and what people will do with them.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:32 AM

I sold a photo to a magazine company who wished to use it in a 2009 French calendar. They paid me the equivalent of $200US, and said if anyone ordered prints of my photo from the calendar they would pay me a significant percentage of the profits, but I can't remember how much! I know the company and their magazine; they have been very honest and paid me promptly once I sent them details of my bank account. They are also sending me several free copies of the calendar when it is printed. I thought this was fair. Of course, selling any photo on TE seems to be an incredible stroke of good fortune, no matter the price.