Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 01-18-2008, 11:58 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Some TE statistics...

Definitly not my vision of TE but everybody is free to use TE his own way...

Interesting argument Loic. Especially since we have the ongoing discussion for year after year of members getting too much, undeserved, critics and points based on swapping, trading, copy&past techs. or whatever that is not fuctioning at TE (according to some). Not forgetting those who are very eager to learn others how to behave, setting up rules and own definition of how the ideal TE member should behave - and in the process too often seems to forget that with all members active in a large site as TE many may have very differrent agendas for being here. I find it impressively interesting that a member can have a ratio at 2,75 based on the methode used in this thread - a clear indication that with the right photos, a good quality, the interesting motifs - it is possible to have some feed back just by acting in a good TE spirit as seen vs. the 'mission' and the TOS.

Don't you see that this is just what many may strieve for: Having feed back without too much 'paying back' all the time.. just because you present some photos of interest to many.
Isn't that a lot better than posting no interesting photos of low quality, without notes and not quite as defined in the 'mission' and TOS - and afterwards coming whining to the forum about not getting feedback and complaining of the 'undesereved' those who by beeing active (under different agendas) get too much attention.

Instead of endless threads and arguments of 'how to behave' let's just point to Curioso and say:
- Do as him.. simple as that ;-)
Old 01-18-2008, 12:11 PM
TE Expert

I think you forgot the number of useful critics
Old 01-18-2008, 12:36 PM
TE Junior Member

the ratio of useful critiques is around 30% for most of members... there are some exceptions of course, but for the majority it is 30%, and this ratio doesn't have to do anything with the quality of the critiques (and even less - with points), and is defined almost solely by the fact that on average around 30% of members rank every received critique as useful and around 70% never do so...
Old 01-18-2008, 01:18 PM
TE Expert

Jack,

I understand your point of view, I understand that you may think I don't have to tell anybody here how to act, but I still don't agree with you. TE is about posting photos -and it's probably the main point- but it's not only about that and that's what make the difference with Flickr or other website like this. TE is a community and, just like in real life, you receive and you have to give (time, advices...) And just like in real life some receive w/o giving.

As I said (and you quoted me): everybody is free to use TE his own way. But I'm free to tell I don't like the way some use TE... ;-)
Old 01-18-2008, 01:18 PM
TE Expert

(oops, sorry for the bold)
Old 01-18-2008, 01:39 PM
TE Expert

..with all respect Loic

- you really don't have to tell me that..

.. and I think giving good advices is a fine thing and it sure is your right.

Maybe using good examples more often than pointing to negative examples can be an alternative way well as motivating for members who are in need of some guidance at TE.

Keep up the good work
Old 01-18-2008, 01:51 PM
TE Expert

Default a little off-topic message

Jack, reading your words "with all respect" makes me think that I probably have to write this off-topic message: please never forget that if it seems that we don't share the same point of view on this particular point:
- as you can see english is not my mother language so I may be ruder as I want to be
- I NEVER misrespect you or anyone else here -especialy you-, be sure about that.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:55 PM
TE Expert

jrj wrote:

Jack, what are you talking about?
Old 01-18-2008, 03:00 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Loic,

You analysis is correct but I felt a bit surprised by your conclusion : "Definitly not my vision of TE but everybody is free to use TE his own way..."

I considerably lower my involvement in TE since I moved to Africa but keep posted. Each time I feel I met something interesting in the world (Cameroon, Kenya, Morroco for the past few months...), I took time to post a picture and share what I learnt through a documented note. I believe this is essence of TE.

I also spend more time educating myself in photography using different medias. I also confess I have less contact with Parisian TE since I have less opportunity to meet them. I also probably spend more time today educating people around me instead of my TE fellows. Being far from my family and my close friends, I guess I try to save time from virtual communities to spend more time with real people around me :)

This is not my vision, this is my actual life shaped my environnement and my constraint.

Take care !

Steven
Old 01-18-2008, 03:15 PM
TE Expert

Steven,

I wasn't expecting explanation from you, you know. I know you, I know your past & stats... So no problem for me.

I was speaking more generaly of my vision of the TE community and what I think of the members who receive w/o giving. But it seems that I'm the only one thinking that way. Perhaps is it due to my own experience in "real live", where I used to be the chairman (not sure about that word in english) of a club, spending several hundreds hours with few friends for members who always wanted more and more without giving nothing. OK, je mets mon mouchoir dessus (a french way of saying I forget that)...

A+