Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 01-04-2008, 05:01 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Conveying Emotion in Landscape Photography

Apathy anywhere in life I find to be manís worst enemy. If something doesnít warm our hearts why even bother.
I have spent entire trips telling myself over and over again that what laid in front of me mattered when it just didnít touch me. The result was always images without emotional charge, void of substance. All the experience in the world in composition and high technical skills never will compensate for sheer raw, all consuming passion.
Photographing landscapes I think should be a spiritual embrace between the photographer and nature. In the end what we put on a print is a bit of our soul for better or for worst.
To take the better photograph one must know how to listen to his heart. I believe in the end it is that simple yet so difficult to do
Best of luck in your photography to all of you who have been touched by the wired energy of nature.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:05 PM
TE Senior Member

for me...
a painter with the camera. looking just like a painter, oke I know there are good and bad painters. And there are good and bad photographers. But one thing I know for sure, when you want it, you can learn it.
gr. jaap
Old 01-05-2008, 02:39 AM
TE Expert

Someone with good landscape experience once said this :'listen to what your heart feels, stay and admire the landscape, when you are done, shoot it and capture the spirit of how you feel'.

Bill
Old 01-10-2008, 02:58 PM
TE Junior Member

For what it's worth I think that we are like estate agents, it's all about location location location. The location has to inspire the emotion initially and the other stuff is all patience and technique.
As some one who views what we do as a craft it's easy to get the right light or the right viewpoint though it might require numerous visits, but having that fantastic sky over a bland location counts for nothing (just think of how many beautiful sky's you've seen that ended up as a waste of pixels}. Ansel Adams would re photograph the same scene time after time often over the course of years even decades but we only see that 1 time when he felt it all came together. My view is that great landscapes are produced by hard work and wasted time. What other type of photography requires us to get out of bed before day break even to have half a chance of capturing that elusive quality.