Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great baba_flies 2007-12-14 4:24

Hello Lana! I have never seen an iceberg so close but only from above (this is the closest I came) approaching St. John for a short stop-over (and this I thought was already exciting). Beautiful how the blue of the water reflects on the white of the iceberg and I also like the black seeming mountain in the distance. Very nice work. I like it. Have a good afternoon, Barbara.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:35 AM
TE Newbie

Default To baba_flies: about the colours

Hi Barbara

It's not the water reflecting on iceberg. It's iceberg itself so blue! As the guide explained to us, the ice in the iceberg is very hard, harder than normal by 50 times. If I am not mistaken, it is compressed oxygen inside that gives the iceberg such a vivid aquamarine blue colour.
The black in the background is not mountain either. It's another iceberg! Some icebergs have black volcanic sand in them. When the ice is moving from the mountains, it grinds volcanic rocks and mixes with the sand and then freezes into icebergs.

:)
Old 12-14-2007, 12:17 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To baba_flies: about the colours

What an interesting iceberg lesson ... this is all brand new for me. See, next time I get out in St. John(New Foundland), and have a closer look, maybe even touch them :)

Thank you for teaching me, each day something new, this is why I love TE, not only for the nice pictures but also for this, and the little friendships that come up! Enjoy your weekend. Barbara.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:58 PM
TE Newbie

Thank you. Enjoy your weekend too. :)
Old 12-14-2007, 03:05 PM
TE Newbie

Oh, forgot to say. We've not only touched the icebergs, but tasted them as well. :) Guide broke one piece off and gave everyone a bit to taste. Iceberg that is so blue is made of purest water and has been frozen for thousand, maybe millions years.