Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photography

Notices

Old 10-27-2004, 02:05 PM
TE Expert

Default Max

Please have a look at Max Pam work, a little known oz photog, though he's my favorite pure travel photographer (ie. last sentence excludes PJ or documentary photographers such as Magnum members).

Max began his career as a Borneo daily photographer and went traveling from Oz to the UK in the early 70's, then around the Indian Ocean and came back often to Asia with a Blad around his neck.
He is the epitome of the 70's hippie style traveler and a precursor of the travel photo diaries which recent fashion happens to populate the bookstands at christmas time.
That's grainy, often blurry : it has the thickness of the asian travel mood... I can hear the sounds and smell the curries when I thumb Max's books.

His work is not very widespread even on the Internet, he hasn't even implemented his website, you'll then have to Google your way on your own, I can however direct you to some of his usual BW shots or more recent color work.

The french photographer Bernard Plossu once said that "Going East" was the best ever photo book he read. I tend to agree with that, but the book is hard to find nowadays ; still 5 years ago you could find it in unsold/second hand sales bookstores, 10 years ago I bought 3 (yes, you read THREE samples) of them at less than 10€ price each and gave 2 away to photographer friends. It changed our mind to photography, this is one of the explanation of why I'm going over and over to Asia, this image was shot with Max in my mind.

Now just open a Google session, key "Max Pam" in, click on the "images" folder and see what gets in your net, enjoy...
Old 10-27-2004, 02:55 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Max

Sorry,
this is the link to "Going East".
Old 10-27-2004, 03:26 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Max

hi luko
i checked these links out months ago when you referred him to be in my photographs . he's great and thanks again for the links :)
it's really tough to find his work on the net . i had to search for days , but now i guess it'll be easier for me to find him
take care :)