Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great langaloo 2007-09-28 12:57

Hello Nmess, long time no see.
Gorgeous picture. That's what I want to see, on my next trip to the States, this fall : the mountains of "the Last of the Mohicans, but I thought it was also the Shenandoa Valley, where Mosby had a few happy trails.
Could you tell me if there is a difference between the Appalachians, the Shenandoah Valley and the Blue Ridge Mountains?. I want the green round hills covered with forests, and fog at the bottom, to drive around.
Thank you beaucoup,
langaloo

Old 09-28-2007, 11:54 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To langaloo: Appalachians

Good to see you as well.

The Shenandoah Valley is a region within the Appalachian Mountains which stretch from Georgia and into Canada. The Blue Ridge Mountains are a range of mountains within the larger Appalachian Range. I highly recommend a trip along the Blue Ridge Parkway. The entire range is fairly heavily forested with small farms and towns along the way. It does pass through or near some larger cities, but you almost wouldn't know from the road. Feel free to contact me if you want more info.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:11 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To langaloo: Appalachians

Yes, thank you for asking, I am driving from Fort Collins Colorado to New Jersey, with my cousin, the easy way : Highway 80 or 70, (I have a feeling Highway 70 is more interesting, historically speaking, am I right?) do you think, and if yes, where about, we could catch a bit of those beautifull greeny-hilly-foggy mountains without having to do a too long detour?
nmess, the path finder,
Old 09-29-2007, 01:08 PM
TE Junior Member

Colorado is nice but in all honesty I'm not a fan of interstate 70. Its a get there in a hurry road, as are all interstate highways. If you have time, I would recommend 40, which takes you further south, but pesonally, I think it's more interesting than 70. It passes through some cool towns such as Nashville Tenessee. At Ashville North Carolina you could pick up the Blue Ridge parkway north. Its a slow road, but not heavily traveled, with restricted access and beautiful. It follows the ridge of the mountains to just south of interstate 70. The hopping off point is near Haprpers Ferry West Virginia, which is on the way to 70.

So depending on how much time you have there are lots of options to choose.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:33 PM
TE Junior Member

After thinking a bit more... I do think 80 is better than 70 with much nicer scenery. I also remembered my daughters comment about traveling 70 for the first time. She was taking pictures of every state on our cross country explore, her first one. She said she could have saved film by using just one picture of a corn field, because that was all she could remember seeing along that portion of the trip :)
Old 10-04-2007, 06:45 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Nmess,
Thank you so much for the valuable infos.
Have you visited the site of a Ghost-Town fan, called Mike "Rocky" Sinnwell? www.rockymountainprofiles.com
Langaloo