Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Tips-Techniques

Notices

Old 08-25-2003, 07:31 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Monotone Conversion

This is a pretty quick and easy to convert your shots to monotone(not really black and white). I find it creates much more interesting shots than simply changing to gray scale, and I prefer it to the color mixer method as well.

First, go to Image->Mode->Grayscale. This will change your color shot into a kinda boring B&W. Then, go to Image->Mode->Duotone. At this point, there will be a pop-up saying Duotone Options. Click on the dropdown arrow, and select tritone. From there, you will have to choose three colors. For me, my first color is always black, and my second color is usually a middle gray. The third color will be the tint your photo takes, and it is very easy to just click on different options to see what effect it has. From here, you usually will have to adjust your brightness and contrast, and sometimes playing with curves helps as well, but you are more or less finished. Doing a conversion like this can be done in just minutes, which is probably why someone as lazy as myself likes this method so much.

This is an example of where I have used this technique in the past. If you are looking for sepia, it is quite an easy conversion, although I actually prefer toning that is not exactly Sepia-ish.

If I want the look of old time film, I will sometimes use the noise filter to create that as well. Often times it seems fitting.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:32 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Ooops

I meant to give this link as an example of when I have used this method:

http://www.trekearth.com/workshop.php?pid=7286&wpid=335

also

http://www.trekearth.com/workshop.php?pid=12023&wpid=1192
Old 08-28-2003, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Monotone Conversion

When I'm converting an image I much prefer to use a Channels based approach - most real B&W film is much more sensitive to Green, so taking that channel (and deleting the others) often makes the best choice, but sometimes the other channels are more interesting - experiment and see for yourselves :-)
Old 08-28-2003, 05:30 PM
TE Senior Member

Thanks Adrian. To be honest, I have never converted this way. I use the method I have mentioned, plus another, longer and much more involved method, but I don't know the channels based approach. To be honest, I don't know how to do so, if you could sort of give a quick lesson, I would appreciate it. Thanks again.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:44 PM
TE Senior Member

What software does this tip refer to? PS? PS Elements?

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:51 PM
TE Senior Member

The way I have written about if for Photoshop 7, although, likely will work with 6 as well. I don't know about Elements, but as it is a pretty straightforward method, I would imagine itwill work there as well. Sorry, I just don't know Elements.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:12 PM

Default Explantion of channel based B&W

Load your image, then press "Ctrl 1" to see the red channel, "Ctrl 2" for green, and "Ctrl 3" for blue. Choose whichever you prefer, then right click on it in the Channel area and select DuplicateChannel. Delete the other channels. Image/Mode/Greyscale to get out of multichannel mode, then I suggest you convert to RGB (Image/Mode/RGBcolor) to save or edit further.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:09 PM

Default Another channel based option

Image/Adjust/ChannelMixer - once you know what the various channels look like, this allows you to blend the intensities in a number of different ways. My best suggestion on getting to grips with it is to play :-)