Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great PJE 2007-03-16 23:02

Richard I was about to turn in for the night until I saw your link to this photo. Wonderful capture in every way. As one member said already.. its a wicked shot!

I am sorry to hear you have lost this much glass and camera to the sea already. Oh it must suck. I thought Canon L glass was waterproof? That may be pushing it a little too much. I can see now that your wave photos have cost you dearly now too.

My suggestion is this Richard. If you are still into capturing these waves with a zoom lens it might be good to stay with the Canon 300D, 350D and 400Xti size sensor because it will enable you to capture the long reach that you need for these kind of shots. It also seems to me that you might be better off with either a 400mm lens or look into buying a water jacket for your camera. I have seen one for the Canon 300D. Not sure about the lens though. I would imagine with a little creative thinking one could make his own. I am inclined to making things like that myself. Esp seeing you already have lost so much to the sea... oh it hurts to hear that Richard. At any rate I hope the advise you receive is helpful.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:40 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To PJE: Thanks Paul

The last one I lost walking my dog on the beach. I just took it out and it fell just as the wave came over the sand and the other was walking on rocks and I tripped onto the rocks and it fell into a very small pool.
I will stick to the cannon as it is cheaper to replace!!
To get these shots I have to be right there and if I am to far away it is never as sharp and it not as much as a frill running away from the waves. With to much housing around the camera I have no time to shoot-focus and run. Sometimes the water is at my heels as I am running with tripod and camera in hand.
Take care Richard.