Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great spidey 2006-11-26 16:01

hi, Roberto - spidey here....

i took your advice and posted a note on my photo - new england river in fall.

i love this picture you have taken. the focus is excellent, such a beautiful flower. the DOF is spot on - my eye is drawn to the flower and bounces off the background a little, which i like - gives the picture energy!

the orchid reminds me of a brooch/pin my uncle gave to my grandma as a gift - it was made of gold and came from singapore.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:24 AM
TE Newbie

Default To spidey: Thanks!

Hi Heidi... or would you prefer spidey :-)

Glad you like this photo. I am not surprised that your uncle gave a brooch/pin patterned after this lovely orchid because I think a visit to Singapore will not be complete if one will not bring back a souvenir patterned after their national flower. I'm sure your uncle visited the Orchid Garden.

Thanks again.

Cheers!
Old 11-29-2006, 09:20 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To spidey: Thanks!

Hello again Roberto, i have been lucky enough to vist Singapore myself twice now. My uncle used to live near the golf course in Changi Village, although he's moved back to the UK now.

the brooch is now in my care, my grandma left it to me when she died, so i'll always have memories of my trips to singapore :)

the first time i came over i was nine years old and had kodak instamatic camera, enjoyed taking picture of Sentosa Island and the rubber plantations there, i remember the zoo being a great place too.

The next time i came over was just over ten years or so ago, they were just starting construction on the bridge to sentosa. we were lucky enough on that trip to go to Bali, which was beautiful.

i remember the humidity ! phew it was hot and that was in september! you have a shower go out for a short while and feel like you need another shower straight away... i loved the warm rain though ( we dont get that here, we get heavy rain but its never warm.)

you are very lucky to be in such a diverse spot in the world, so may different nationalities and cultures - excellent for photographic subjects.

all the best heidi

p.s the spidey only came about as a nickname because it rhymes with heidi, heidispidey, spideyheidi
anything is fine, you choose! :)
Old 11-30-2006, 03:11 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To spidey: Thanks!

Hi Heidi... I like this better :-)

First, I'm sorry about your grandma. And you must be a favorite grandaughter because she left the brooch with you. :-)

Wow, it's nice to hear somebody who's been to Sentosa when it was just starting out... I think the rubber plantation is gone. You should visit Singapore now. It probably has changed a lot from the time you were nine. I've only been here for less than a year so I really don't know how Singapore looked like then. I did see some old photos from museums and books though. Do you still have the photos you took with instamatic camera? It would be nice to compare those photos with the new Singapore photos that you will take if you decide to visit here again.

Yes it is humid here but coming from the Philippines where the humidity is very high (much much higher than Singapore) I'm fine here. This time of the year it is always raining - warm rain - mostly in the afternoons.

Singapore is indeed a very diverse country culturally and I'm glad that I can add living here as one of my better experiences.

Hope you can visit sometime.

Cheers!