Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 09-02-2006, 11:05 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: The Critique Conspiracy

No worries, Keith.

I was just wondering if there was more to the quote. But it looks like there were some technical issues. It happens to me sometimes and after I clean up the cache and temp files on my computer, it starts to work again. It generally happens when I'm updating my blog. I use the utility called CrapCleaner which works really well.

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:46 PM
TE Expert

Hi Keith, not sure where you felt someone demanded changes. I know that in written form, I may sound as complaining, not the case, just stating a fact. Note that I attempt to explain why changes are unlikely, not proposing, let alone demanding anything. I find on TE plenty of reasons to enjoy the site, even if it's a bit less about posting and critiquing pictures. Any other site, even our own, will never resembles TE, which many of us seem to like being part of, now given the freedom to participate in any fashion we like, which may mean that sometimes the spirit can lag behind the letters, but IMO, few net sites, especially as the membership rises, escape that.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:28 AM

Herve,

I certainly didn't mean to imply that you were making demands of the site. Sometimes it seems that posts don't actually appear where we expect them in the list and that certainly causes confusion.
There was a comment in one post to the effect that the membership should decide the rules of the site and the administrators should simply implement the members decisions. I can't find the actual post any more so maybe the mods removed it?
My basic argument is that we are all guests on this site and the rules are posted for all to see. Making suggestions is fine, but attempting to tell the site owner how he should be doing things is not - in my opinion.
Anybody not prepared to abide by the rules should leave.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:18 AM
TE Expert

Indeed ... wondering eyes to see the magic,
it would be really a pity choosing only techniques not seeing the magic anymore,
the magic should inspire to be creative in techniques,
when we loose it we sometimes degrade people as only compositional elements not human anymore we loose the Mozart to become Salieri.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:25 AM
TE Newbie

Default Try doing workshops if you want to feel ignored

I do workshops when I see something that can be improved. When it comes to points I can take them or leave them, but if I was a point hound, I'd never waste my time doing workshops. You can create a masterpiece and not get a single kudo for it.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Try doing workshops if you want to feel ignored

Actually I'll disagree with you there Todd, I think Workshops are one of the most rewarding things you can do. The best part? Even if no-one says a word, you're still learning excellent post-processing skills :)
Old 09-03-2006, 02:34 AM
TE Newbie

Default I agree, too much puffery for quid pro quo

It looks suspiciously like people are trolling for comments in return when you see photos that are just mediocre yet have a string of glowing praise.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:49 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Try doing workshops if you want to feel ignored

You don't disagree with me then because that's pretty much the jist of what I was saying as well.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:31 AM
TE Senior Member

Courtesy or not depends on indevidual's characters and different culture from different countries. Some people are frank and some people are polite. I do not really mind.
What irritate my feelings is pretty pictures does not render good responds and common pictures are with good feedback. This makes me disappointed for a little while. Of course, it willnot disturb my posting of pictures. I save every quota in each day and post as much as I can. I need to improve the techniques. I really appreciate people gives me opinion in what should be better in taking the same picture. Members here do allow me to learn a lot. Really thanks to Adam for this wonderful web site.

THY
Old 09-03-2006, 11:59 AM
TE Expert

Courtesy do matters, no excuse of education or culture, no one likes to get a remark like " it seems to me that you left some dirty traces by forgetting to lower your pants when you took a shot ..." even if you got the name or fame of a BlackAdder .... courtesy do matters and is not synonyme of ass-licking "you're the greatest" impersonal comparisons.

The first essence of a good critique is still "I like it or not". How many of you could define by the essential techniques why the music of Mozart is so great. On top analysing techniques will never indicate the magic of a shot. Never forget that the greatest recognized art is still a xenogamy or cross-glorification of popularity together with the recognition by the so called art-experts analysing the techniques in to details.
Think about Van Gogh for instance, you never can say that he is great only by his techniques, there is indeed something more to it not that easy to catch by analysing alone, it goes beyond recognized as well by the non-art-experts.

Reason I value a WS so much more in search for that magic then pages of analysing comparitive techniques that is often produced to show of how art-expert you are because you lost the essence of a wondering eye for that magic.

So to all the new members here on TE, don't forget, your spontaneous simple reaction is as much of value as the reaction of an art-expert, and by starting to write a simple reflection, with the time you will go in search what can help to enhance the magic in a shot.

You are in need of feedback ? just do your 20 ratings a day, the rest will come, you are in need of technical feedback, rate the experts but be aware that only techniques are not the salvation for a magical shot, just open your mind and enjoy by shooting and seeing what other have shot.