Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Travel

Notices

Old 11-30-2004, 12:02 AM
TE Expert

Default GREENLAND map is not connected to TE

When looking for some geographic information based on the photos that TE members took of GREENLAND, I failed.

The simple reason is, TE does NOT specify which country and which continent it belongs to. As a result, the part of the world where photographers landed or lived to contribute pictures is NOT highlighted on TE map. This causes an abandonment to that part of the earth we own. Here is an example of the loss of sovereign when Allan contributes a lot of photos taken of Greenland but TE map doesnít show his credit:

http://www.trekearth.com/members/nielsenallan/

I think we don't need to ask UN to confirm this. Just wish some day Adam will have a minute to "return" the ownership of this big island (which is an autonomous part of Denmark) to the owner.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:06 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: GREENLAND map is not connected to TE

Since Greenland is part of Denmark, I don't think it should be listed as a separate country. As far as not being associated with the proper continent, that's correct. There are many examples on this site like that. In the future it may become possible to designate which state/province is associated with which continent.

As for the map, I decided not to highlight it because the way the map is displayed the size of Greenland is greatly exaggerated, and anyone posting a photo to Denmark would have it highlighted which I felt is awkward. However, I can add that in if others think it should be highlighted for Denmark.

Thank you for your input.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:49 AM
TE Expert

Adam:

I think maybe misunderstanding between us in this topic.
I didnít recommend Greenland to be listed as a separate country. I only suggested that, if a photographer posts a photo taken in Greenland, then the TE map should highlight that biggest island of the world. Also, Greenland is part of Denmark, I guess you should set up for both parts to be highlighted together.

One example is Allan contributed a lot of photos of Greenland but his TE map does not show Greenland in yellow:

<a href=" http://www.trekearth.com/members/nielsenallan/
"> Allen TE account </a>

I am not sure how other TE members think if anyone posts a photo of Denmark would have Greenland highlighted, but to me, this legal case of relationship is similar to:

- If anyone posts a photo of Hainan Island would have entire China highlighted.

- If anyone posts a photo of Key West Island or Marathon Island of Florida would have entire USA including Alaska and Hawaii highlighted.

- If anyone posts a photo of Krilon would have entire Russia highlighted from Vladivostok to Moscov.

The above international recognitions of sovereign have been accepted by United Nations, whether we feel awkward or not.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:06 AM
TE Expert

"If anyone posts a photo of Hainan Island would have entire China highlighted."

Hainan Island is not self governing. Greenland is. It is contiguous with mainland China. Greenland is not.

"If anyone posts a photo of Key West Island or Marathon Island of Florida would have entire USA including Alaska and Hawaii highlighted."

Those islands are not self governing. Those islands are contiguous with the continental US.

"If anyone posts a photo of Krilon would have entire Russia highlighted from Vladivostok to Moscov."

I don't believe Krilon is self governing. It's contiguous with Russia. Greenland is not.

Alaska is not contiguous and it's highlighted. But it's not self-governing.

There are many other regions on this site which are not highlighted as well. However, they are very small and located near the equator so it's not obvious. It is obvious for Greenland though. I think if the type of map used would be changed to correct for distortion towards the poles, I would highlight Greenland.

"The above international recognitions of sovereign have been accepted by United Nations, whether we feel awkward or not."

Taiwan is not recognized by the United Nations I think yet it is listed on this site.

Thank you for your feedback. Does anyone else have any opinions on this? Should Greenland be highlighted? One part of me thinks it should be highlighted, and one part of me thinks it should be left as is for now.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:29 PM
TE Newbie

Default Should Greenland be highlighted?

- Should Greenland be highlighted?

- In case the photograph has been taken in or of Greenland, of course yes, Greenland should be highlighted, to reflect or identify that part of our earth.

But this is only my point. That's up to you and all of TE members. If a picture of the White House is posted in TE but TE map doesn't highlight Washington DC or United States, I would leave the complaint to President Bush or UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan.

Adam: you could put and end to this issue by simply deleting the map in INTRO page :=}
Old 06-07-2006, 05:31 PM
TE Junior Member

Personally, I think Greenland should be highlighted. It's a special and interesting landscape and anyone who has photos of there should have the land marked on their map.

In relation to having it as part of Denmark (for map highlight reasons), I'm not sure.

Like you, I'm caught in two minds over that part.