Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Announcements

Notices

Old 10-12-2003, 10:15 PM
TE Expert

Default New Books Area

A new Books area has been added which offers travel and photography books through Amazon which I hope will prove useful to others as trips are prepared to different regions or to learn more about photography.

Some of the features:

1. Travel Books are organized by region, (Continent -> Country -> City).

2. Browse books by categories, (Travel: Guide Books, Travelogues, Maps, Languages, Culture, History, Literature, Calendars; Photography: Artistic, Technical), publishers (Lonely Planet, Rough Guides, Frommer's, Fodor's etc.), and region (see above).

3. Books are available from the Japan, United Kingdom and United States Amazon site. (One may select the store location from a dropdown menu on the left side.

4. Amazon ratings, selected customer reviews, pricing and other book information is displayed along with the book image.

5. A [Make Recommendation] option within TrekEarth to allow TrekEarth members to recommend books to others.

6. A "Recommend Book" link to add books not currently listed on the TrekEarth site.

I encourage members to make recommendations, suggest other books to add, and to consider purchasing travel and photography books through the TrekEarth site as this will support TrekEarth as it continues to grow and improve.

Please let me know if you find any problems or have suggestions on how to improve this new Books feature. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:52 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: New Books Area

Adam -- Great idea and a great resource. One question though, will there be a link or a tab somewhere to get to the books page from the main page or from our account page? I know that I'd be much more likely to remember to look for books through this site if I had a visible reminder that the page was there.

Thanks,
Mimi
Old 10-13-2003, 01:24 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: New Books Area

"I know that I'd be much more likely to remember to look for books through this site if I had a visible reminder that the page was there."

Right, I knew I forgot something! :)

Thanks for your feedback, if there is anything else you'd like to see please let me know.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:00 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To Adam Re: New Books Area

Adam,
I love the books section. Only just had time to check it out.

I've a question. I just bought a couple of books that I clicked to buy from here, but having selected the books I "saved for later" for half a day on Amazon while I thought about it. Does this still count as a buy from TE?
Cheers,
Martin.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:15 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Adam Re: New Books Area

"Does this still count as a buy from TE?"

I get credit if the purchase happens within 24 hours from when the books were added to the cart, and assuming you didn't re-enter Amazon through a different affiliate link afterwards.

I'm curious, did you try this through Amazon Japan? Thanks for your support!
Old 01-14-2004, 02:05 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To Adam Re: New Books Area

OK. It was within 24 hours so you should get credit for the purchase.

The books get added to Amazon.com and I didn't try shifting to Amazon.co.jp. I tend to use the US site anyway unless I'm after a Japanese book. It generally works out cheaper to buy from the US and pay the extra shipping costs than to buy from the Japan site.

I actually added two more books to the order before checking out. It would be interesting to see if you got credit to them too. That would be nice, but doubtful.

Cheers,
Martin.