Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great macjake 2014-02-17 4:50

Hi Rosemary
now how on earth did you get the underside of that rooftop so well lit in the upper fg? thats fantastic.
in my opinion it actually makes the photo what it is.
seems like alot of care and time went into that building on the left, and it shows.
strange to see the stone way up at the top, contrasts so much with the other styles.
fine photo from a city walk.
cheers
craig

Old 02-17-2014, 12:49 PM
TE Expert

Smile To macjake: PP Work

Hi Craig - No secret really, I exposed in RAW as I generally do and then edited in Lightroom and Capture NX2. I selectively dodged in the details under the roof which, BTW was really beautiful and the reason I took the shot from the position I chose.

Glad you like the shot.

Warm regards Rosemary
Old 02-17-2014, 01:22 PM
TE Expert

Default lightroom

Hi Rosemary
i have no idea how to use lightroom, it looks so complicated. And i have no idea what that other program is either. Guess i like to keep it simple haha
i'm not much of a computer guy.
thanks again
craig
good work with your computer skills! Does it take alot of time? You have to switch back and forth with the programs? I shoot in RAW and use photoshop elements...keep it basic.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:24 AM
TE Expert

Default LR

Hi Craig - I have used Capture NX2 with the Nic plug-ins for so long I was really unsure about Photoshop or Lightroom. CNX2 is a dedicated Nikon software which is very intuitive to use and all the steps can be 'undone' or switched on or off. When I got my little Sony, I was forced to try another option as CNX2 works with NEF (Nikon RAW files) only. I didn't want to get flummoxed by layers etc. so my son suggested LR and it is quite easy to use and is excellent for bringing out shadow details etc. This has made some of my tricky light shots, like the one here so much easier to edit. It really doesn't take long to edit a shot once you know your way around the software. If I am unsure about achieving a specific result I have a look at tutorials online. If the shot is particularly challenging light wise I open it up in LR and do any major exposure adjustments, dodging and burning etc and once the shot looks more balanced I generally finish off in CNX2 and resize for TE.

I've not looked at Elements at all is it easy to use?

Warm regards and go well

Rosemary