Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great batalay 2014-02-09 10:54

Hello Eric,

This is a wonderful architectural portrait of the historic military academy, "Kuleli," on the Easter bank of the Bosphorus. Built in 1845, the building served as my father's school in the late 1920s. If you get a chance A Love Story Lent a Helping Hand by Ataturk.

Warm regards,

Bulent

Old 02-10-2014, 12:33 AM
TE Newbie

Default To batalay: Thanks

Bulent,

Thank you so much for the information on this building. I gave up searching on Google for its name after I searched for over an hour. I did find this name but couldn't find anything else about it: "Vaniköy Mahallesi Muhtarlığı" is that Turkish for the Kuleli Military High School?

Thanks again!

Eric
Old 02-10-2014, 12:56 AM
TE Expert

Default Kuleli

"Kuleli" literally means "[the building] with the towers." It was built in 1845, during the reign of Sultan Abdulmecit I. If you look at the link that I sent you earlier, you'll see a lithograph from the mid-19th century. As for "Vaniköy Muhtarligi," it simply means the "Offices of the Mayor of Vaniköy," a suburb of greater Istanbul. I see that you are from Columbus, where Ohio State is located, and where my son's best man went to school. It's also where my mother had surgery (at Grant Hospital) in the 1980s. It is a city close to my heart.

Regards,

Bulent