Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great jcpix 2013-12-17 20:32

Hi John,

For what would appear to be a lonely and desolate road, this sure looks like a drive I would enjoy taking...even in the middle of winter. Of course, I say this from the comfort of home, in the desert no less, where it's still sunny and warm. :) I imagine there would be quite a bite in the air however, but there's no denying the natural beauty of the landscape to entice hitting the road despite the cooler temperatures.

A masterful composition, and even some illusion...just where does this road lead, it looks to disappear completely just after the curve?? The subtle play of light over the hillsides and contrast in the sky is a delightful mixture. A tantalizing display of detail and atmosphere. Stellar shot!

Enjoy the new day ahead. Take good care.

Friendly wishes,

Jason

Old 12-18-2013, 07:57 AM
TE Expert

Default To jcpix: Talla and Tweedsmuir......

Hi Jason,

Thank you so much for your very kind remarks about this one.

As I said in my note, this is one of my favourite places in the Scottish Borders and only about 45 miles from home. I've taken dozens of pictures of the Talla reservoir which you can see in the distance in this picture - some of the other pictures are on three pages of TE here!!

Although this is quite a spectacular view, it is quite difficult to photograph because the road and the walls are very close whereas the reservoir itself is over a mile away and perhaps about 200 or 300 feet lower. The road which you see descends rapidly down a 1:4 (or 25%) slope to the level of the reservoir - the road is single-track and very twisty with a big drop on one side, so if you meet someone coming the other way you have to reverse all the way back - or they do!

Actually, although I drove up here on this day in my "usual" car, I have a few times driven up that very steep hill in my little toy - you can see a picture of her a little farther along the same road here.

Thanks again, Jason!

Take Care and have a wonderful Christmas when it comes,

John.