Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great Royaldevon 2013-11-27 2:29

Hello Rosemary,

I have learned a lot of new facts, today. Oh, and how interesting to find out about 'Harp' lager!

You see, I think desat works when you want to make a strong point. I wouldn't recommend it to be used frequently but in cases like this, it does add impact.

The setting is well composed. The sign holds attention, whilst the buildings and cobbled surface, and the people add a busy, work place feel. You know, it reminds me so much of very early memories of Lancashire cotton mills at start time or 'loosing' time!

Have a lovely day,
Bev :-)

Old 11-27-2013, 09:47 AM
TE Expert

Default To Royaldevon: Harp Lager

Hello Bev - That is one of the things I enjoy about TE, I love doing a bit of research and learning trivia! In fact, if and when I get to meet up at another UK TE meeting I think we should have a pub quiz or play trivial pursuits! Like you I enjoy the nostalgic look of this area of Dublin and if I had the opportunity I would love to do a series on the old industrial areas... the mill towns must still have areas of the old industry too. Next time I visit our son in York I must have a look for suitable subjects.

I hope all is well with you.

Rosemary
Old 11-27-2013, 02:43 PM
TE Expert

Unhappy OLd Mills

Hello rosemary,

In our area there are still remnants of the mills but not so many as you would imagine. In some cases they have been reused and there is a wonderful example of one old mill having been turned into luxury flats. The buildings are so substantial, so proud and, with the addition of little greenery not so morose!

I do hope you look us up or come to our next get-together when you are back in England.

I sense, so much, how you miss certain aspects of England, particularly the seasons and the celebrations.

Kind regards,
Bev
Old 11-27-2013, 03:36 PM
TE Expert

Talking Anglophile

Yes Bev after spending more than half my life in Africa I still hanker after England and you're right again about the festive season; Christmas just isn't Christmas in 36C heat. The decorations look so tawdry in bright sunlight and it's so hot to cook the traditional food and then to do justice to it! I haven't been back to England for a Christmas for many years....one day maybe

Thanks for the note I always enjoy catching up with my UK friends.

Rosemary