Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 08-31-2013, 01:41 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Published photos

Hi TE - I was recently contacted by an academic book publisher who saw a photo of mine on another site and wants permission to use it as the back cover of a book to be published in 2014. As they are a non-profit company, they're asking to use it without any payment, but with (obviously) a photo credit. The book will have a very small initial run of 1,500 copies.

Has anyone else had this experience? Is it standard for a small non-profit academic publisher to make that request? I assume they went for a photo by an amateur for that very reason and that if I ask for payment they'll go find another photo, but I want to make sure I'm not being taken advantage of. I'd be pretty happy just to have the shot published, but obviously I'd be happier still if the deal included some money.

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 09-01-2013, 03:51 AM

Hello Andrew

This has happened to me on several occasions. My attitude is that if an organisation is prepared to ask for permission and can provide documentation as to the bona fides of the organisation, I grant permission and send a high resolution image if they require it. Just from the details you've presented it sounds like a bona fide request. I would not assume that they've approached you to avoid paying for a photo; there are millions of stock photos on the internet that can be downloaded for free, after all.

But, I must say that I am not obsessive about copyright, not at all - your attitude may be quite different. I have been paid for photos, but I am more than happy to give them to those who ask, and who seem genuine. Of course, there is nothing more unpleasant for a photographer than to see his or her photos presented as being the creative work of someone else; that is fraud, and unacceptable to me.

Regards,
Andrew the other
Old 09-02-2013, 06:28 PM
TE Senior Member

Andrew...

That's very cool! And you pose a somewhat difficult question! As someone with another full-time job, it might be easy to think, "It's worth the publicity and a line in my CV." But even though they're a non-profit organization, they are going to SELL this product and there are many other cost-inputs. Moreover, it is not just inclusion in the book, it's the back cover. I imagine the person designing the front cover is getting paid.

So in short (beloved wife is calling me to lunch!) I think I'd ask, diplomatically, for some token payment. Explain your desire to be included and your intent to not impose an impossible financial burden, but the reasonable belief that art must be paid for, even if it is a token ($50?), or (maybe better!) a BARTER for something they may be able to provide for your schoolroom!

Best regards (and envious congratulations!)

Russ
Austin, Texas
Old 09-03-2013, 03:49 PM

I had a similar approach a few years ago. They were willing either to pay a small fee or let me have a copy of the book. I chose a copy of the book, but when I saw how poorly the image had been reproduced almost wished I had taken the money!

If your image is being used on the cover (mine was inside) I would definitely be tempted to ask for a copy.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:07 AM
TE Newbie

Default Thank you

Ok . I will follow it.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Banned

Thanks for sharing . really nice information