Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 07-31-2013, 04:14 PM
TE Senior Member

Default I know this is a very old thread, but....

I just wanted to add - I have become very spoiled by posting photos to Facebook. There are no restrictions to content (aside from common sense), size, number... You can create whole albums and share them however you choose. Your friends can click 'like', you know they've seen them, there is the option to comment (or not) and you don't have to spend time writing critiques. It does make it far easier and I would say, less time consuming.

I find, though, that time and again, I return to Trekearth. I miss the photographers whose work I have enjoyed over the years, the community, the constructive criticism I still yet find helpful. It really is a strange addiction...
Old 07-31-2013, 09:24 PM

I would suggest that the many options available e.g. Facebook, Flickr, TE all have their place and each fulfils a different aim within a common interest (photography).

Some sites are simply for sharing images with no feedback wanted, some are there with the hope of generating sales, some for more considered discussion. All have their place.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:59 PM
TE Junior Member

I may add my own case...

I stoped posting some seven years ago because a vey silly accident left me almost blind.

Two years and six surgeries later I recovered 100% of my sight (to the point I do not need to wear correction), but even if kept on taking photos, I felt I had lost a little interest in posting... (I was also with a lot of work and an international move).

In time I started participating in forums, stayed for some time in PBase and Smugmug... and lately Flickr.

I agree with Keith in that they are different places with a different objective, but knowing that the time I can dedicate to this is limited (I am not -yet- retired and have a somehow demanding job), I thougt that for a number of reasons TE is a better place.

Of course that there are things that I do not agree with (I even had one photo removed and ranted a lot), but I think that this is part of the sense of... mmm... being at home?

(And for sure, this means that will keep on disagreeing and ranting :-)!!!! ).

Regards, saludos!
Carlos

Last edited by cjmm; 08-01-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:05 AM
TE Junior Member

Default TE numbers

Hello TE members, according to your numbers the peak for this site seems to be from 2004-2009. The site was sold by the original creator, Adam Silverton, in 2009 and some important changes were made. These changes were too egregious for some professional photographers. I agree with all that Rosemary has said, and the reasons are many and varied.
That being said, I love this site. I am not a professional photographer but I peruse the sites that the [professionals use to seek critiques for their work. I am realistic enough to know that I am not in the same class as them but I have learned a great deal from them.
From my own personal experience on this site I have tried to welcome and embrace new members to this site. And I will continue to do so.
Good luck