Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great Noel_Byrne 2013-08-11 7:02

Hi Martin,
This is a very interesting post for me to view, as there is huge arguments raging in Ireland at the moment over proposals to build hundreds of these wind turbines in the centre of the country. People are putting forward proof of how they destroy the environment, look awful, and even make people sick! I think perhaps part of the outrage is because the power generated is not for use in Ireland, but for export to France and the UK. Interesting that they don't make any visual impact at all here in this lovely rural setting.
Cheers
Noel

Old 08-11-2013, 05:00 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To Noel_Byrne: windfarms

Noel

Thanks for stopping by..
I don't think my photo quite shows what a mess these DO look, despite they only show up in 30 degrees of the panorama. As you turn around other sites show up though to compensate. And apologies too if the sarcasm in my note as not clear !
I must clarify the facts with my brother,( ex aero engine/turbine design engineer), who said of the off-shore array nr Hartlepool, all this ( 27 windmills at approx 63 Mw ) could be replaced with ONE industrialised RR Trent engine. If you supposed that this array is as powerful as say 10 Aero engines even allowing for margins of error, you would not have to ground many Jumbos to negate the need for this whole site. And we build new jumbos/airbuses without a second thought, and build new airports etc etc. The grounded jet-turbines could all fit in one industrial shed, in the city where the power is needed etc etc. And no transmission losses.
Importing green electricity allows the user to extreme feelgood factor of polished green halos, while indulging extreme nimbyism ! Ireland should do what they will, but they sell themselves down the river in my opinion if they do as you suggest they might ! (Nothwithstanding the income I grant ! )
Hope that helps...

off my soapbox now !

Rgds
Martin

Last edited by MJR; 08-11-2013 at 07:42 PM.