Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great marabu61 2013-08-11 3:58

Hello Noel
The old gipsy style of living on the road by doing the odd jobs everywhere is unfortunately a fast disapearing lifestyle. The wagon behind looks wonderfully old and ornate. A pity though the lady isn't dressed in the traditional gipsy gear anymore.
About the word gipsy, I don't know how it is in english but in my mother tongue german the term gipsy or Zigeuner isn't regarded any longer as politicaly correct yes even racist, one has to refer to the rather bizzare official term of MEM (meaning mobile ethnische Minderheit). In my opinion it is a pity that many of these old terms have become the object of such controversy and can't be used anymore without having a bad conscience even if one hasn't any negative feelings about it.
have a great sunday
Daniel

Old 08-11-2013, 01:09 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To marabu61: Gypsy

Hi Daniel,
Thanks for the comment, fascinating to hear that the word gypsy is not considered PC in your language, I've never heard of that before. Here in Ireland, there are two groups similar, one would be gypsy's, like this woman living in the traditional caravan and travelling around. The other group are called travelers, and these people live in modern caravans, often staying in the same place for years. There are other derogatory terms used for travelers, but I've never heard any for gypsys. I am glad to learn from your comment!
All the best
Noel