Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great ACL1978 2012-12-10 17:05

Hi Robert - interesting history for this light; that the Confederates removed the lenses of these lights is fascinating, and not something I'd ever heard of happening. Nice shot of this one through the trees, in good light.

Andrew

Old 12-11-2012, 01:43 PM
TE Newbie

Default To ACL1978: Thanks for your comment

Thanks, Andrew,
The lighthouses along the eastern seaboard were critical in establishing the shipping trade of the early US. When the Civil War (around here some still call it the War of Northern Aggression) started the Confederacy knew that they were at a very serious disadvantage in terms of naval transportation. They did everything they could to minimize that, even if it meant loosing some of their own capability. Several of the important lighthouses were captured and controlled by the Union early in the war and inferior lighting devices were placed in the towers which gave them some capability but not that of the first order Fresnel's that had been removed to Charleston.
I grew up in Newton but am know in rural SW VA, so I've gotten to see the war from both sides.
Thanks for your comments
Old 12-12-2012, 01:56 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Newton

I'm a Newton native myself, though I think we're somewhat far apart in terms of time. Teaching US History has given me a special appreciation for the Civil War, and I certainly try to show my students the perspectives of all sides involved, so bits of information like this are always helpful! Thanks.

Andrew