Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great tyro 2012-07-16 2:49

Thank you, Len, for letting me see the (other!) love of your life!

A finely presented photograph taken from a flattering front quarter angle really showing off the sleek lines of this beautiful motor car. The bright red of the car stands out beautifully against the green foliage behind it and the foreground splashes of colours add to the ambience too.

Perfect exposure, lovely vibrant colours and exquisite detail and sharpness.

Beautiful!

Kind Regards,

John.

P.S. This is my little friend!

Old 07-16-2012, 10:46 PM
TE Newbie

Smile To tyro: Your little friend

Hello John

Thanks for your reply, did you see the other photo I put into a workshop
I think the owner said it was a 1934 model but I may be wrong

Regards

Len
Old 07-17-2012, 08:57 AM
TE Expert

Default Your workshop picture.................

Hello Len,

Gosh, I didn't realise that you had uploaded a workshop picture - had you uploaded that before I wrote my critique on your lovely picture of your own MR2? If so, I'm sorry that I didn't notice it.

I'm sure that you are absolutely right about your information. This is certainly an Austin Ten saloon and would date from between 1932 and 1934. The Ten was introduced in 1932 to "fill the gap" between the diminutive "Seven" and the bigger "Twelves" and the first models were like in your picture - exposed radiator with chrome surround. Sometime in 1934 Austin introduced the Austin Ten "Lichfield" - pretty much the same vehicle but with cosmetic "improvements" including a slightly raked cowl over the radiator and plainer bumpers - to give it a more "modern" look. Very little was done "under the skin". This, like mine, is the "De-Luxe" model as it has a sunroof and bumpers. At 168 new, it was "posher" than the standard version at 155 which had no bumpers and no sunroof.

My car is a "Lichfield" though I must say that I find the older version (as in your picture) more attractive. Austin, of course, was the most successful car manufacturer in Britain in the 1930s and it was around this time that they started their trend of naming their cars after counties and areas of England & Wales - the "Lichfield" was probably one of the first to be so-named but then there were others you will remember - the "Devon", "Dorset", "Hereford" and, of course, the "Cambridge", a name they used well into the 1960s.

The car in your picture actually has a badge on its front bumper - just above the "G.B." badge - of the Austin Ten Drivers' Club: I'm a member of that (it's great for spares) so I must dig out my paperwork and see if I can find out any history about "ACD 60"!

But, Len, your workshop picture really is so good a photograph - you can't see the exif data in workshop pictures but it must have been taken at a slightly slow shutter speed - as it shows lovely movement of the car "speeding" past you and with a lovely background too, perfectly exposed and with lovely colours. You could most certainly have posted this as a picture in its own right. Unfortunately, pictures of old cars/steam locomotives and suchlike don't often really go down all that well here as there's not a lot of "petrolheads" or steam enthusiasts around here. Having said that, Bev, I remember, posted a lovely picture of a steam locomotive "Duke of Gloucester" and it went down a bomb - it was a good picture too.

Kindest Regards,

John.