Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 01:52 PM
TE Newbie

Default how to take a photos like these ?

Hi and thanks for great article. i am a newbie to take photos using iso ranges . does it change any thing in taking photos ?
which one is more important ? focus or iso ? and what kind of camera should i use to take a photos like this :
any help really appreciated !

Last edited by Porteplume; 04-22-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:16 AM
TE Junior Member

Post photos like this

Hi Milad.

there's a huge range in the questions you're asking and not everything is linked as you are doing on your post.
First it's not the camera that makes the photographer, it might help on certain levels and can improve indeed the quality but only when correctly used.
So, you have to focus first on what you want to do with the camera. It's useless for example to have a 36 megapixels camera like Nikon d800 if you're purpose is only to take photos and only post them on WEB, if you want to print it on large scale paper then the conversation changes.

If you want to have higher speed and more precise focus when the subject is moving fast then maybe shifting to another body like a Nikon D4 ou D3, less pixels but faster. Then you may want to shoot wildlife, or sports and want a bigger zoom range but your budget doesn't allow 400, or 600/800 mm pro lenses, than you may want to target a camera which is not full frame but with an APS-C sensor, like canon 7d, which allows you to have a 200mm used as a 400mm due to the cropped sensor. As you can see there's an almost infinite range of gear waiting there, it's up to you to target it having in mind what you want, and your budget.

After that, you focus your question on focus and ISO, there's not much in common with this 2 subjects. Unless you are seeing the part of focusing under low light conditions.
The ISO is important when you have to shoot in low light conditions without having the photo blurred due to the hands shaking. Then you have to make the ISO higher so that the camera is more sensible to light, like in the old films, iso is the equivalent to the ASA thing on film.
When you go for higher ISO amounts, due to light conditions and because you don't want to use a flash or can't, you must have in mind that from a certain range your images will start to present grain and the sharpness will be soften, because of the algorythm that the camera producers use to low the grain appearance. Modern cameras (DSLR) can handle easily ISO values up to 6400, further only expensive cameras like the top canon or nikon will do it but always at a certain price, loss of detail in photos due to the softening of the edges.

Finally about the "how to make the photos" you show in the link there's a lot of possibilities. But first have in mind when you are shooting that the good base for a good shot like those starts when you are outside or inside shooting, you'll never get a fantastic photo starting from a so-so photo and then on post production you get the WOW photo, this doesn't exist.

If you are going for a B&W photo have in mind that the best way to avoid a greyish, supposingly B&W photo, is shooting in full colors and then convert it to B&W. There's photoshop, lightroom, paintshop pro, even the software that comes with some camera is a good starting point to convert. Then it's a matter of taste to achieve those results and a bit plugins search, as there are multiple brands developing plugins for B&W, for aged look alike photos, plugins for ading vignettes. Also all of this can be achieved in post-production but it would take more time as, as you say, you are new to this, and i'm assuming you are not very familiar with all of the post production things.

I already let you on a previous request (which has been moved into "tips & techniques" here in the forum, about the plugins and other stuff, even some books about photoshop, and lightroom, don't know if you saw my answer about that.

Also if you don't see my answer or your post here on "general" forum it might be on "tips & techniques", inside the forums too, but on a different page.

Hope this helps you in some way, and if you are interested in finding some cameras, lenses or other gear review you might want to check this: www.dpreview.com.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:41 AM
TE Newbie

Default thanks!

thanks for reply . helped me alot / thank u
Old 08-01-2012, 07:39 AM
TE Newbie

Default why

whay you don't go and read photography books like jonathan photography or a... there are alot of photography websites you can use specially trekearth itself .