Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Forum Feedback and Support

Notices

Old 05-19-2012, 06:04 PM
TE Expert

Thumbs down Right then what shall we do ?

You are right and Elena is right also.
What shall we do ?

This is not legal
I suggest for all of us to ask TE manager for removing these buttons.

I am worried about this problem

Best regards

سعيد

Last edited by Didi; 05-20-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:12 PM
TE Expert

Default Xsavshot picture

I have found tis picture posted recently in TE by Xavier

http://pinterest.com/pin/86975836523826658/

سعيد
Old 05-20-2012, 10:12 PM
TE Junior Member

You know i am feeling a bit happier now over the debate i initially kick started
hopefully we will start to see some movement even if it is just removing or having and opt out function

i was going through pintrest and adding in links back to my commercial outlets for the images that have been stolen but pintrest no longer allows me to post ! go fiure that eh!

John
Old 05-21-2012, 06:26 AM
TE Expert

Default An Idea

Hello All

I have another idea which may help visitors and 'pinners' to TE to be more aware of the copyright on images. Paul, what do you think? There is room under each photograph just below the 7 buttons, beginning "Add to Favourites" and ending "Critique Photograph" to add a line of text stating that the image is the property of the original poster and may only be copied or pinned with their consent. Food for thought. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Rosemary
Old 05-21-2012, 06:40 AM
TE Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapRJW View Post
There is room under each photograph just below the 7 buttons, beginning "Add to Favourites" and ending "Critique Photograph" to add a line of text stating that the image is the property of the original poster and may only be copied or pinned with their consent. Food for thought. Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Rosemary,
this is a good idea, but... to read this text one needs to know English. And a lot of Internet surfers don't know English at all.
And yet, when they browse on a photo in the TrekEarth gallery they see and "understand" the Pinterest button without knowing any language.
What to do in this case?
Old 05-21-2012, 07:13 AM
TE Expert

Default Good Point

You make a good point Elena - Some photographers' websites have a function which blocks the right click "save as" function. If you try to right click a note come up to say "this is the property of XXX and copyrighted". Now , I know nothing about programming in options on the website but perhaps this could be looked into as well. There has to be a way that photographs can be blocked from copying or pinning. The Admin folk need to figure out how and offer the option to members. I'm hoping that a serious effort will be made in this regard.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:38 AM
TE Expert

Quote:
You make a good point Elena - Some photographers' websites have a function which blocks the right click "save as" function. If you try to right click a note come up to say "this is the property of XXX and copyrighted".
1. IMO, if the notice is short enough (just as your example) it may be possible for the programmers of TE site to run it through any online text translator and add a few more versions in other languages, e.g. French, Spanish, Turkish, Italian etc... There's not much to translate, and the idea would be clear to the one who's going to pin the photo.

2. but it's not quite clear to me yet how to implement this idea on TE.. I mean adding the necessary scripts for this notice to pop up when you click on the Pinterest button

3. "this is the property of XXX and copyrighted" - probably also add something like "you must obtain the photographer's permission first."

Quote:
There has to be a way that photographs can be blocked from copying or pinning.
Just like they did in Photofolia?
The right-click is disabled there, but it's still possible to save the original photo from Photofolia - very easily: you just save the whole page (the browser's menu: File -> Save page as ...")
Old 05-22-2012, 08:10 AM
TE Expert

Default Save Page

Hello Elena - What is the quality of the shot like if you save page? Probably not as good as saving the photograph only. I think any means that hinders picture 'stealing' is worth looking at, after all burglars tend to give houses a miss when they have big dogs, alarms etc.
Paul ..... any luck with your research into the line of code from pinterest?
Old 05-22-2012, 07:37 PM
TE Expert

Quote:
Hello Elena - What is the quality of the shot like if you save page? Probably not as good as saving the photograph only.
Hi Rosemary,

when you save the whole page displayed in a browser, the whole page is saved - with all the scripts, images etc, and the original image - the photo (with all the exif info, should it have any originally).

It's not a screenshot.

As an experiment, try saving any web page (a news page, for example) in a separate folder and then see what you have:
- html file
- folder (with the same name as the html file) which contains all the scripts, images, ads etc.

Example:
http://www.photofolia.net/frame.php?fot=10271

I've just tried saving this whole page.
Along with all other images and scripts, thus I downloaded the original image
Old 05-22-2012, 10:05 PM
TE Expert

Thumbs down Numbers

Hi Everyone - but particularly Paul

I too have a problem with what TE is allowing to be done to us. Everything has already been said by Rosemary, weetrees and fanni. So please add me to your "handful" of dissenters.

But with respect, your response that it's okay to allow it to keep happening whilst there are only a handful of members complaining about it, is a complete cop out. An abuse of people's rights is ok provided there's only a few who speak out? Ideas like that were popular in Germany 70 years ago, not now.

Many members don't know it's happening, but if they did, would be outraged. And those who speak another language other than English have just been ignored eg francio64. What do you require before you take action? A petition? Do something about it now. Show us that it's not all about the dollar and you do actually care about our rights.

Sincerely
Lisa (delpeoples)