Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Forum Feedback and Support

Notices

Old 05-15-2012, 04:17 PM
TE Senior Member

Smile Hi

Enisala is a village and fortress in Tulcea (http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...ulcea/Enisala/), not in Constanta (http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...tanta/Enisala/)
Old 05-15-2012, 05:27 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Porteplume

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmurphys View Post
Thank you, it has been corrected!
Old 05-16-2012, 08:28 AM
TE Senior Member

Thanx a lot!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:07 AM
TE Senior Member

Smile Wrong

Hi Viviane,
I'm back with another thing to be repaired. We have the city of Cluj-Napoca (http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...j/Cluj-Napoca/) wich is correct written, and we have some others versions of wrong written name: Cluj - Napoca (http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...Cluj_-_Napoca/), cluj apoca (http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...uj/cluj_apoca/), cluj napoca (http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...j/cluj_napoca/).

Thanx
Old 05-16-2012, 06:20 PM
TE Expert

Here's another chaotic city:

The capital of Ukraine is represented at TE as:
kiev
Kiew
Kieyv
Kiiv
Kijev
Kijiv
Kijow
Kiyiv
Kyev
Kyiv
Kyjiv
Kyyiv
Kyyv
Kyyivska

The city was generally known as Kiev, which is the Russian spelling, during the time of the Soviet Union. Since independence Kyiv, which is Ukrainian, has been the most relevant spelling. So I suggest that Kyiv should be used throughout.

Gert
Old 05-16-2012, 06:54 PM

I have changed some of the following ones:

kiev (389)
Kiew (1)
Kieyv (1)
Kiiv (2)
Kijiv (6)
Kijow (1)
Kiyiv (1)
Kiyv (14)
Knyazhichi (1)
Kyev (4)
Kyiv (199)
Kyjiv (2)
Kyyiv (63)
Kyyivska (1)
Kyyv (2)

into:

Kiev (394) [M] << Kyyivska
Kyiv (233) [M] << Kyyivska
Kyyiv (63) [M] << Kyyivska

But I'm still hesitating which one would be the right spelling ???

I'm not sure I can change Kiev for Kyiv as it was once the right name...
Old 05-16-2012, 07:34 PM
TE Expert

Thanks Viviane,
Kiev or Kyiv is a tricky question that probably cuts through the domestic politics too, i.e. whether you're pro-Moscow or pro-West.
This is at least a lot better.
Gert
Old 10-21-2012, 06:32 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Wrong Locations in Sweden

You have asked for rapport of the names of places which are not correctly located. So far I have found more than 300 wrong locations in Sweden! I can give you a list in pdf-format, if you want to "repare the problems”.

However, the first problem is that you have chosen to subdivide Sweden into what you call ”regions” and ”states”. There are many users who don´t seem to understand what these are.

First of all, ”regions” are normally called ”lands” and there are three of them (there were four until 1809).

Then there are in fact two separate ways to subdivide these lands.
One way is to use ”landskap” (”landscape” but mostly translated to ”province” in English) and the other is to use ”län” (mostly translated to ”county” in English). ”States” are never used!

Landskap / provinces are a very old, but has no administrative function. They have been replaced by counties (län) for the administrative purpose (starting 1634). But people often identify themselves with landskap /province. Dialects are typical examples, where we use landskap /province to identify the speaker.

Many of the wrong locations are in the Gothenburg area. Gothenburg is definitely in the Västergötland province and has been so since it was founded in 1621. North of Gothenburg is Bohuslän, which belonged to Norway until 1658. Bohuslän is clearly a province, even if the name contains the part ”län”. South of Gothenburg is Halland, which belonged to Denmark until 1645. Both are today separate provinces in Sweden.

But when the adminstrative parts, the counties, were formed, Gothenburg was merged with Bohuslän in 1680 to form the administrative unit called Göteborgs och Bohus län (Gothenburg and Bohus county). But that didn´t make Gothenburg a part of Bohuslän! Note the difference between Bohus län and Bohuslän!

Then, in 1998, this county was once again merged with two other counties, Älvsborg´s county and Skaraborg´s county into Västra Götaland´s county.

Älvsborg´s county included the southern part of the province of Västergötland and the province of Dalsland. Skaraborg´s county corresponded to the northern part of the province of Västergötland. (Another peculiarity is that Västergötland belongs to Götaland and Dalsland belongs to Svealand…)
Of course, both Västergötland and Västra Götaland mean the same thing; West Gothland!

But here the TE problems start! Too many people belive that Gothenburg is in the province of Bohuslän, probably since it was once part of Bohus län! Same thing with Mölndal, close to Gothenburg. The majority of the wrong locations in Sweden are found for Mölndal!

Another area with plenty of wrong locations is Lappland. Lappland is a province, now divided in two different counties. These are Norrbotten and Västerbotten. But these counties are also the names of separate provinces. All locations in the province of Lappland are either in the county of Norrbotten or in the county of Västerbotten. But if TE only has provinces in the preprinted default list, it is easy to see why so many users misplace the locations.

I suggest that TE changes the words ”Region” into ”Land” and ”State” into ”Province”

Once reason to use TrekEarth is to find pictures from different places on the earth, for instance if you want to visit them. It is therefore quite essential to achieve the correct information!

Please contact me by email if you like to have the list. I will then attach it to a direct email to you.

Last edited by saxo042; 10-22-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:27 PM

Merci Gunnar, I'll send you a mail...
Old 10-21-2012, 08:30 PM
TE Expert

Default strange city

Dear Viviane (or any other moderator),

After I uploaded a photo from Istanbul I noticed that this is another city that has been spelled in a huge variety of ways. It would be nice to see the city "normalized".

I have seen it written as:
Iistanbul
Instabul
Instanbul
Intanbul
Isatnbul
Isatnbul Airport
Isstanbul
Ist
Ista
Istabul
Istambul
Istanbaul
Istanboul
Istanbu
Istanbul.
Istanbule
IstanbulPark
Istanlbul
Istasnbul
Istnbul
Itanbul

There was also a picture from Denmark, marked kopenhagen, which had been sorted into Istanbul province.

The very correct Turkish spelling would be İstanbul, but we can forget about that.

Whenever you find the time...

Thanks,
Gert

Tags
lieux, locations