Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 04-29-2012, 05:59 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Brave Iranian Photographer

I wonder what happened to the recent photos posted by a new member from Iran(possibly a young woman) who posted images of women being checked and harassed by the "Controllers" if their hair showed or the sleeves were too short. Did the photographer remove the photos after having second thoughts about her own safety? Was she so advised by...? Does anyone know what happened to this brave person? I was going to comment on these photos but looking at the gallery of most recent shots from Iran, i have noticed that they have disappeared. I unfortunately do not even remember the name of the photographer.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:54 PM
TE Expert

Default Iranian photographer

Is this photographer ?
http://fr.trekearth.com/gallery/Midd...oto1359051.htm
Regards

سعيد
Old 05-01-2012, 10:17 AM
TE Expert

Default No...

No... I think this member's account has been disabled, or photos removed....
Old 05-01-2012, 02:06 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Not the one

Didi's photographer is one who plays it safe. the one I had in mind did not play it safe and my initial thoughts in seeing her photo-journalistic style was, " Are you aware of the consequences or are you just foolhardy?" As is, her work has vanished.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:51 AM
TE Expert

Default Iranian Photographer

I recall both photos from that Iranian woman, and discussed photojournalism & the lack of free speech in Iran, with someone who gave her a frowning face, & said that there is no place for such shots on TE. I also mentioned the concern & duty of care TE may have, for allowing the posting of such contentious images. I think they should only be posted if there is no risk either to the poster or the website. I am thinking of the cartoons of Mohammed as a prime example. Bad idea.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:23 AM
TE Senior Member

It is good to read a response from a TE Expert, yet there are bits in it that make me ponder about TE's mission or modus operandi. Isn't our credo "learning about the worl through photography"? Since until recently most of the TE members were from affluent and cohesive societies, few of the photos showed the individual's battle for justice and freedom. Of course even in these so called just societies there is poverty, racism, cruelty- these aspects could be shown if a photographer looked deep enough. However most members were and still are too busy accruing points by posting pretty panoramas.
So recently we have been "confronted" by images of how dangerous and insecure life can be. Unsettling for so many baby boomers and generation Y, X and Z ? If an individual risks his or her safety by going public about repression in his or her life, should we deny this act? I take your point about the safety of such an individual, but that is the catch22, to extinguish such a voice or to recognize and admire it?
I wrote to a TE member who said that such discussions as we are having here are not appropriate on TE. I replied the following:

...However, the photographer was a breath of fresh air amongst all the Disneyland photos we tend to see of a world in splendid colours, remote and often awe inspiring. Seldom does a photographer show the despoliation made by the greed of man. As for the human subject, old men sitting and chatting in town squares, the children running in fields or jumping into rivers, women carrying waterjugs on their heads- one would think everything was right with the world. Only a few of us have the strength to show the darker side of our existence. I remember a young Iraqi photographer who showed the disfigured and traumatized children due to Israel's attacks on Gaza. He didn't last long and I do recollect that he had trouble with the moderators for his direct approach. So when the photographer from Iran showed up, I felt for this person, remembering what it is like to live in a society where everything you say and do is being watched. As a child who lived in such a place I still remember the fear of both young and old. So i decided to bring the absence of this TE member to our collective notice, for I was moved by the bravery behind her photos and disturbed by her departure, having felt whilst looking at the photos that she was either foolhardy or naive or just plain brave in posting such images, either knowing or not knowing that the eyes and the reach of Big Brother are everywhere, even outside of one's own country.
So yes, I agree with you that it may be inappropriate to discuss such matters here, but a life is a life and something worthy of note should be acknowledged somehow, otherwise it's all meaningless.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:06 PM
TE Expert

Default Photojournalism

I agree with everything Daddo has written. I recall saying the very much the same response, to the person who gave it a frowning face and who said there was no place on TE for such images. I disagree. As long as there is no risk to the photographer of retribution by authorities or threats to attack TE with denial of service attacks, hacking, or worse (terrorism) then I think photojournalism shots have every right to be posted. Some of the strongest shots have changed the course of history.

http://www.thenewsburner.com/wp-cont...apalm-girl.jpg

The minimata shot in Japan & the aftermath of Hiroshima are 2 more examples.

http://pplhpuntondo.org/wp-content/u...9/Minamata.jpg

http://www.treklens.com/viewphotos.php?l=7&p=198980

None of them are pretty, but they tell important stories that need to be told.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:02 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Porteplume

The member daddo refers to was one of a quite large number who joined over a few days and who all had the same IP address as an existing member. Several attempts were made to find out why they all had the same IP address, and during that period they were suspended. That is what we normally do when multiple accounts appear from the single IP address.
No one has replied with information or questioned their suspensions. If a credible explanation came from any of them we would certainly consider reinstating them.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:17 PM
TE Expert

Default Iranian Photographer

One credible explanation is that a number of Iranian students at a University or college, are using a single server & IP address at their Uni. But they have been given the chance to explain, & no explanation has been forthcoming. A pity.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:43 AM
TE Senior Member

Default The rules rule

Well, one can look at their tardiness in not giving an explanation as a decision not to compromise their source, considering the "delicate" nature of some of the photographs and the nature of the state in which they live. Pity is in this- that from our comfort zone in the West we sometimes may lack the wisdom and insight into different worlds in which others live and die. Maybe a trigger happy attitude in obliterating the presence of others because they are not playing by our rules is at times not the correct one. The departure of these individuals or individual has left our TE community all the poorer. But some would say rules are rules. So be it. Now that we have upheld the precious rules we have a blank space from one that was filled with courageous and thought provoking images.