Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Tips-Techniques

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 06:01 PM
TE Newbie

Default T1i + 50mm f/1.8 Lense advice

I've had my Canon T1i for about 9 months now and I'm looking to invest in another lense. Right now I only have the 18-55mm stock lense and was interested in the 50mm f/1.8 lense. Anyone have any experience with this camera+lense set up. Or other tips and suggestions on other lenses I should look at. I would like to take pictures in a variety of environments but want to see what I can do with a fixed zoom lense.
Thanks!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:41 AM
TE Newbie

Thumbs up 50mm f/1.8 Canon Lens

Hi Damon,

I was in your shoes not a long ago. I have spent a year in India with my 1000D kit lens and wanted an affordable upgrade (or rather addition, due to 50mm's limited range) and went for a 50mm f1.8. It is a fantastic lens and takes great images that are sharp and require less light, therefore low aperture speeds (your current lens only opens up to f3.5, but this fixed prime lens would open up to f1.8). The other great thing, beyond having clear low light photos is the depth of field you can create on this lens.

I would recommend this lens, just because of value for money and what you can capture with it. However, it is limited to 50mm (effective 80mm on your sensor) and so all images are fairly zoomed in (think of taking everything on your 18-55 at 50) and so if you are taking family shots inside a room, its hard to go wide.

I've done a write up on my blog here:
http://learnslrphotography.blogspot....-50mm-f18.html

and I suggest you look at photos on Flickr of people using this lens:
Mine: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=50mm&w=44173095%40N06
Others: http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=50mm+1.8&m=text

Hope this helps!

Pramal
Old 08-06-2011, 08:41 PM
TE Newbie

Default A must have!

Hi Damon,

I fully agree with Pramal, and I would add the 50mm 1.8 from Canon is a 'must have'.

I most of the time use it for portraits, either when I want to detach the subject from the background or for indoor portraits using natural light.

Another great use for this lens is to stick it on your camera and go photo hunting with nothing else in your bag. It will most likely make you see the world differently, find new angles and, in the process, make you a better photographer.

Have fun with it!