Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Tips-Techniques

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 06:46 AM
TE Newbie

Default recommend a digital SLR

i am a amateur photographer, pls. recommend a Digital SLR camera with technical specifications.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:24 AM
TE Newbie

hi rhea.
We probably could use some more information on your budget, size - weight preferences etc. But I can make a couple of suggestions and perhaps offer some questions for you to think about.
What camera are you using now? If you like the operation and color of your existing brand, then you may be happy with a DSLR of the same brand. Myself I like Olympus and Nikon, mainly because of the way they handle color. I have a Nikon D90 now, but I think if I was to do it again I would stick to my original preference - Olympus. I have an Olympus E-1, which is only a 5mPix camera, but it still produces some amazing results. I found it a bit heavy for hiking and the low light performance is noisy. Though the Nikon is a bit heavy too.
Whose photos do you like on Trek-Earth and what are they using?
You can see many examples of photos from various cameras by doing a search based on camera model at TrekEarth as well as Flickr and several others. I would suggest having a critical look at how the various cameras handled exposure, focus and color. The DLR cameras are a lot alike now in their specifications and features - I think most do an outstanding job. To me it came down to a matter of image quality and color handling.
Have you considered a "micro 4:3" camera like the Panasonic and Olympus? I am seriously looking at moving "down" to those. The only problem I can see is the lack of optical viewfinder. I think the image quality coming out of those is great - have a look at the Olympus Pen E-Pxxx series photos.
Sorry to be long-winded - hopes this helps.
- Dave