Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 05:28 AM
TE Newbie

Default The critique system

I've been a member of TE for a long time although I'm not very active. The reason for that is that I have realized that the only way to get my photos noticed is to write glorifying "'critiqes" to people, telling them how amazing their photos are and how great photographers they could have been, and of course giving the inevitable green smiley.

It seems that nobody is really interested at the photos themselves, just in the process of collecting points. I've seen it numerous times- groups of people that keep giving 2 points to each other, no matter how bad is the quality of the photo. For god's sake, how can you say a photo has "good sharpness" when every child can see it is all blurred...How is it possible that photos that are obviously technically flawed gather 10-20 green smileys and not even one (!) emoticon of a different color?

The critiques themselves are sort of "cookie cutter" type that can be copy/paste with tiny modifications to fill in the allowed daily quota of 20 critiques: "A beautiful photo of a house in rural England, excellent color, beautiful POV, great sharpness and DOF, TFS!"

And even some veterans here, that have amassed 30,000+ points still behave in the same lousy way, when only one thing is on their mind: to gather more and more green smileys and points, to have their egos massaged daily and getting a pat on their shoulders. How can't they see it's all one big lie, and the number of points/critiques does not reflect anything of importance or real value?

It's a shame, becuase there are some great photos here and really talented individuals. But in order to "succeed" in this site and get noticed one has to wash his hands in the dirty water of inferior politics.

I think it is of vital importance to take TE members out of their mutual-critique point-buddy closed groups and force them to look at and critique other people's work. I suggest to ban writing critiques to the same TE member within a certain period of time. Same way as it is not possible to upload more than one photo within 24 hours, it would not possible to critique a photo of the same member for 3-4 consecutive days for example in order to break the pattern described above. Even if some members will find a way to bypass this restriction (and I'm sure they will) by forming a larger circle of point buddies or uploading at larger intervals, it at least will increase the level of exposure of members to other members' work on this site and the number of interactions.

Last edited by Just-A-Guy; 07-31-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:28 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Ban

There should be a ban on wanting to ban anything someone don't like !
Life is so short, live and let live and enjoy.

Cheers !

Jacques
Old 08-02-2010, 12:19 AM
TE Expert

Smile Critiques

I really don't understand why there is this concern of "give or not to give points".
Isn't the main objective of TE "learning about the world through photography?"
Points are only details. Let's forget points or green smiles and let's enjoy this opportunity to learn, to admire different parts of the world and to have a healthy relationship with TE members.
Pax et Bonum for all
Old 08-02-2010, 04:44 PM
TE Newbie

Default Learning about the world or about photography?

To some, it is the photography. To me, it has always been the learning about the world through TE members lenses.

And that is why the notes on the pictures are so important to this site. If you want to see beautiful pictures, there are numerous other sites to check out.

Of course, a well taken picture tells a better story than a not so well taken photo.

Many pictures, one world.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:29 AM
TE Senior Member

Looks like this point system has become a "I scratch your back and you scratch mine" policy. There are numerous pics on TE that do not deserve pts at all while on the other hand, pics that do deserve but don't get any. For some, quantity has replaced quality, eager to post that 1 pic every 24 hour at all cost. General pics have invaded this site showing little or no artistic value nor photographic interest. That point system should be abandonned to be replaced by 3 types of smilies (smile, neutral and sad) along with a comment relevant to the given smiley.
placombe
Old 08-06-2010, 04:25 PM

The question of 'Points system, good, bad or abused' has been around for years and you will never total agreement on the question. The simplest way to avoid the annoyance is to select 'Do not display points' in your profile.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:49 PM
TE Expert

Question Critique System

Few people mark the option "do not display points" Why will be !?
Old 08-07-2010, 05:05 AM
TE Senior Member

Thumbs up The same "point" again!

Hi folks!
The same subject again, after exhaustive discussions throughout all those years! I also found that strange at first, but then I realised human beings are just the same all over the World! The fact is, either you accept it or you don't! As I really enjoy everything here, including the friendly interaction, I do accept it as it is! Of course, bad pictures can receive a green smiley, but it's certain that someone who has lots of points has something to say or show! You cannot force one person to enjoy a piece of art, but if, in general, that thing is considered good by most people, it has to have something good in it, we're not children (most of us), are we?
Like someone else has already said... just relax and enjoy it!
Great week-end for everyone!
Old 08-18-2010, 07:24 PM
TE Newbie

Hi
it is clear that the critique systems "sucks" and the pages are full of "bad" images. People seem to have become familiar with this.

Good critiques or workshops are extremely scarse. When finding such you could learn something. Unfortunately there are many days you don't find any good critigues and don't learn anything.

Happily there are still usually one or two images per day that one can really enjoy!

Pentti
Old 08-19-2010, 12:14 AM
TE Senior Member

Smile Points Mean Prizes

Apparently, if you get enough points you can trade them in for a D700!!