Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Tips-Techniques

Notices

Old 04-30-2009, 02:59 PM
TE Newbie

Default Any advice for my first camera?

I'm going to Europe in august... for a year or more to travel and work, and live.
I have been planning to buy my own camera for awhile, but I have always just used my dads(it is very old).
I have clue about which one to buy and it would be great if i could get some help!
I want a digital camera, mostly for outdoor but it would be nice if it worked well inside too.
My price range is 400-600 dollars.
Thanks!
Chantelle
Old 04-30-2009, 05:01 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Any advice for my first camera?

I am no camera expert, but I will tell you that if you start getting into photography, you will quickly outgrow the fixed lens point and shoot cameras. I just purchased the Canon RebelXS for just under $600.00 USD, and it's less on Amazon.com for starters. It's an entry level SLR, easy to use, and once you outgrow the kit lens, you just add on lenses, unlike the fixed lens camera you have to totally replace. The lenses, at least most of the ones I want, will set you back several hundred to several thousand, though.

Or, you could go the route of an inexpensive compact point and shoot, if you don't think you will be interested in more than snapshots for the future.

Farah
Old 04-30-2009, 06:22 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi,

Go for the Canon 20D, still excellent and a bargain on ebay (250-300). Save the money for a good lend. In one or two years bye the Canon 50D.

Bye

Nuno
Old 04-30-2009, 09:05 PM
TE Junior Member

Hello Chantelle,
I love my Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ5 - It is now over 3 Years old and now there are newer models of this FZ range available with improved features ( newest is FZ28, I think ). It is a 'bridge' camera between the compact and the DSLR. Excellent Leica lens. 12XOptical Zoom ( 18x on newest models) No separate lenses to carry, and lightweight - which I find a great advantage whilst travelling and walking in hotter climates. Most of the most useful features of DSLR's. Have a look at reviews. Nearly all the shots on my gallery have been taken with this camera. Like you, I found it difficult to choose a camera out of the hundreds available, but I have never regretted buying the Lumix.
Good luck with whichever camera you choose.....Maggie
Old 05-18-2009, 01:19 PM
TE Newbie

There are too many options to list, in the compact, bridge or DSLR fields.

But what I can advise you to do is, if practical, to go into a shop and "play" with various offers. The build, weight and bulk of the various offerings will be something to take into account. I am used to having a Nikon D300 and 18-200VR* lens with me almost all the time, along with a flash, some cards, a spare battery and a circular polarizing filter, but that's me... some will prefer having a small point-and-shoot in their pockets, and if you're looking at casual images, some will indeed meet your criteria (Fuji has some good ones that will happily be used at high ISO numbers for inside/night scenes, for example).

Once you have decided, you may start browsing the net for used ones, that is a good idea. But it is IMHO very important to know what you're looking for "in person" before getting one. The person who owned my D300 chose a camera that did not suit their needs, visibly, and I ended up with a very good second-hand cam for 60% of the original price!

Hope this helps!

*I know, a bit above your budget ;) but that was to illustrate another point.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:19 AM
TE Junior Member

Buy DSLR if you shoot a lot or grab a bargain SLR if you just shoot occasionally.
With that budget, you still have USD500 in your pocket and beautiful pictures for the album. When you come back from Europe in a year or so, your SLR will probably worth more and a DSLR will depreciate highly in price.
Regards
Old 05-22-2009, 05:02 AM
TE Senior Member

Buy a good lens . . . the camera is not that important.
Both Canon and Nikon are good . . . easy to get and to service.
Canon is said to be a bit better in the high ISO (good if you shoot a lot inside without flash), Nikon is supposed to be more user friendly . . .
I bought the sigma 18-200 . . . it's better than the standard Canon lens . . . the stabalized one is rather expensive . . . I've used both and for me there is no difference.
I now have a Canon 1000D . . . as good as you can get to get started . . . in a few years there will be better cams . . . if I have to I can change.
good luck and enjoy your year!!
Old 06-05-2009, 07:16 PM
TE Newbie

If you are looking for a compact size, affordable camera and you are not very skilled with all the settings in photography (aperture, shutter speed, depth of field, etc.) I think Panasonic TZ5 would be a good choice. I own one and like it a lot. I only use it for casual shots when I don't want to carry my big SLR and the lenses. Also, I always carry it around. It has a good 10x optical zoom and, together with the 8.5 MPixels is quite right for any trip. The focusing mechanism is very fat and precise and the picture are sharp. The colours are saturated and realistic. Also, it makes movies with sound in HQ. I bought it in March and from Circuit City just before they closed down, so I got a pretty good deal.
The camera fits in a pocket, but if you are looking for a bigger camera you can choose one of the Nikons or Canons. Other companies are doing a good job too, but you have to think in the future. If you get an SLR, soon enough you'll have to pop a lot of money for extra lenses, flashes, filters and others. I think any beginner has to choices: get a pocket camera to find your way around or a pretty good SLR. If you get an entry level SLR, soon enough it will not meet your needs anymore and you'll sell it for peanuts and spend money again, for another one. But if you get a point and shoot, by the time you are ready for the next step, you can get the big bad boy SLR without the extra spending. That's what I think.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:37 PM
TE Junior Member

Naturally it's no surprise that everyone advises that you follow the digital route. However, I'd like to give you a different option that's still in your price range. Your results will ultimately be better in many respects and you will invariably become a better photographer.

The answer - go film. These days medium format cameras are being offloaded by the bucket load and you can pick up a range of bargains. A Pentax 645 with 75mm lens can be picked up for less than $400 and a Mamiya 645 auto focus can be picked up for about $600-$700 with a 80mm lens (80mm is equivalent to a 'standard' 50mm lens in SLR terms). Add a good tripod for about $100 and you are set for a whole different world of photography, which in my own experience is much more rewarding (I bought my first digital SLR in 2002 so I have some experience).

My work has certainly moved to the next level since switching back to film ( I have a Mamiya 645 TL-Pro). For some examples please visit my web site at www.ronaldcraig.com.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Ron.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:07 PM
TE Junior Member

Don't go for film. It's like using a horse instead of a car or gas instead of electricity. The film is dead. In a few years, the pixel technology will surpass film grain in quality. Sensors are getting better and better everyday. They react to light using the same principle film does. Even today you will do digitally what you would do with film without noticing the difference. What is the point in shooting film for then scanning the negative digitally and processing the picture digitally and putting it in internet? None. Because I don't see that nowadays a normal person could afford the time and the TONS of money to develop color film and print color pictures at home. And this would be perhaps the only justification for using film, going the whole process through.