Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 03-25-2009, 10:14 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Please don't!!!

No kidding. There are a lot more photos out there then just your buddy's
Take a look at what kind of behavior you are perpetuating. You give me points and I'll give you points ..Some people never grow.

Stand up and tell us why you think this behavior is good...Why do you do it?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:55 PM
TE Senior Member

A very true comment Kiks! When I first joined TE, the membership was much smaller and the standard of photography was much higher. Most members were serious about progressing. There were real critiques too, critiques that helped one to learn and improve. All, or nearly all, of the great photographers that TE once had have left (or been expelled) Most of the objective and helpful critiquing has ceased. They have been replaced by hundreds of new happy snappers, many of whom upload average snaps and receive lavish praise in exchange for praising the mediocre work of their point swapping friends. TE seems to be more about boosting egos, these days, than about developing our photographic skills. I sometimes wonder if those people who tell their friends that every very poor photograph that they have uploaded is a masterpiece are really dishonest or is it just that they canít tell the difference between a masterpiece and a piece of rubbish .It helps a little if critiquers tell one what is good about a picture, but it helps a lot if they tell one what could be improved
Old 03-26-2009, 06:46 AM
TE Senior Member

Hi you all!
I was looking for a picture of a certain place - can't remember where now - and found out TE! Loved the idea, joined it and startet posting in it! At first, got lots of helpful hints and they have really helped me on how to improve techniques, including post-treatment. I still get lots of feedback and put the hints on my lists of future purchase or experimenting techniques with the camera. However, yes, sometimes I got sort of bored or even upset about seeing this more "human relations" behavior where photo quality is less important than friendship! Helping a friend on how to improve the photo technique is less important than exchanging "green faces"! But, I still think it's such a unique site and although once I have erased my 300 posts and intentend to leave it... I came and still enjoy it a lot! I have decided to comment only on pictures I really like, see good qualities or that have one or two flaws I can point out to the TE member as many have done with me! Let's try to join and make this site something better... for real exchanging of good pictures and for learning more and more about this fabulous art!
Best regards,
Neyvan
Old 03-26-2009, 07:10 AM
TE Newbie

I joined TE because of the wonderful pictures done by both amateurs and profesional photographers and nothing less. I feel that I learn more about the world than just seeing points and characters given by one individual to another. And in the end who cares about the points?

Otik
Old 03-26-2009, 08:05 AM
TE Newbie

critique is good.
i have been attacked in english, kurdish, swahili, pidjin and chinese for having tilting horizons in my photos.
lesson learnt, slowly. and critique appreciated.
but there is nothing more squeamish than when you critique an unknown person's work, and 20 minutes later, they're praising one of your uncritiqued photos as if you are the long lost mother. those are not the points i value.

however, sometimes somebody will critique your work, and so you will look at their work, and sometimes, you just love the work and want to say something good about it. human nature. i'm guilty of that, too.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:38 AM
TE Newbie

Well, it seems that we are back again in the nursery stage where one swallows all the praises one gets undiluted. I would rather prefer that I get critiques and praises if than get points.

Otik
Old 03-26-2009, 08:50 AM
TE Expert

Hi friends

I have learned a lot since I posted my first photo in TE. I agree with Ney(Npecanhuk) and I continue to say: Give points or not give points. Really, points aren't importants."If you don't have anything to say, don't say nothing ". It's good to say something useful about a photo that has poor quality. In short, TE isn't a competition site, neighter a place to change rudeness, in my opinion. Talking about photography, TE is by far, the best site. In my humble opinion ,it should not be the Bonfire of Vanities.I want to thank you all for the lessons that I have learnt here.
All the best
Old 03-26-2009, 10:25 AM
TE Junior Member

For me, my reason in joining TE is to learn the world thru photography no more no less. Whenever i posted my photo my main goal is for you guys to be able to learned & see what's on my area a kind of educational goal. Now with regards to having points, to me it's all kind of a bonus but not necessary though and if ever i recieved positve or negative critique/comments am treating all the same as a plus factor to me as part of my learning process in photography. Overall i found TE to be very educational in knowing other places that i can't afford to be there. So to all TE members TFS your photos. keep it coming.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:30 AM
TE Senior Member

Hi, All,

I've been here now going on three years. And as someone mentioned, this site just gets bigger and bigger. I don't know about everyone, but I simply do not have the time to scrutinize every photo on this site and try to make constructive suggestions on how to improve them. So. I scan the gallery for shots I like, and I try very hard to reciprocate critiques with those who are kind enough to critique my work. If their most recent shot isn't one I can be positive about, I look through their gallery or wait for one. Reciprocity has gotten a bad name for some reason. I do not write good critiques for poor photos, but I DO appreciate it when someone takes the time and effort to critique my work and I will make an effort to do the same for theirs. Simply good manners as far as I'm concerned. It isn't a matter of points, either. After this long, I just have a particular liking for certain photographers' work and I have made a ... friendship with them. A LOT of them. This site can be extremely time consuming. Lately I have just not been well enough, had time enough, patience enough, to do it justice. I am just too weary. There's so much to learn here, but you have to ... put so much into it. Other peoples opinions are often helpful, but writing notes and writing critiques will be more helpful than you realize. Hope all this rambling made sense.

Shelly