Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Tips-Techniques

Notices

Old 01-23-2014, 08:24 PM
TE Newbie

Question A question about RAW conversion...

Hi! I have been playing with RAW images to improve photo resolution. As is, I get a 71 mb image, when auto-converted to a jpeg in PS Pro3, it would appear that I get a 3 mb image. With resizing (160%) I have brought it up to the 7 mb limit for uploading. My question is; is resizing to 7mb simply blowing up a 3 mb image without improving pixel quality, or is there better resolution at 7 mb? On my monitor there doesn't seem it be a perceptible difference. Any insight would be appreciated...Thanks!
Old 01-24-2014, 12:56 AM
TE Expert

Cool About RAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo9 View Post
Hi! I have been playing with RAW images to improve photo resolution. As is, I get a 71 mb image, when auto-converted to a jpeg in PS Pro3, it would appear that I get a 3 mb image. With resizing (160%) I have brought it up to the 7 mb limit for uploading. My question is; is resizing to 7mb simply blowing up a 3 mb image without improving pixel quality, or is there better resolution at 7 mb? On my monitor there doesn't seem it be a perceptible difference. Any insight would be appreciated...Thanks!
Hi Romeo
I noticed that you have a Canon 60D
When you bought your equipment, the pack contains a DVD Digital Photo Professional software
This is a very useful software to perform pre-treatment of RAW files
You can directly transfer RAW files to JPEG with 71 Mb
And it is possible to reduce to 7 Mb directly
And you will not have to resize your photos because this causes a loss of quality

After this procedure you can use Photoshop to complete your corrections
In reality on your monitor differences are perceptible when you make a digital zoom on the picture, but not on the images published on Trekearth.
I suggest you to not publish large formats on the site
1500 pixels wide is amply sufficient
Large formats are a gift for theft
Keep your large formats for yourself. This will allow you to print large pictures with good definition
Best regards

سعيد

Last edited by Didi; 01-24-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:12 AM
TE Newbie

Hey Didi...
Thank-you sir, that's awesome! I have been remiss...I bought the camera and took to clicking away straight off and the software discs have collected dust since. I will run them and see how it goes, as digital is new to me, I have very little experience with processing. I have had issues with degradation in larger prints and was looking to improve that.
I'm off to northeast Jamaica in under two weeks, and some sweeping panoramic shots of the coastline and Blue Mountains are on the to-do-list. This will certainly help...and hopefully several worthy of posting. (In a reduced version as you suggest)
Thanks again!
Old 02-02-2014, 03:46 PM
TE Newbie

Thumbs up

I uploaded the software, and did some conversions using the PPD. Although I didn't get a 1:1 ratio in the conversion from RAW to jpeg, I did consistently get an 11 mb finished image, which was 3.5 times the pixel quality that I was getting in the PS conversion. That will definitely improve enlarged prints...thanks again for taking the time to respond, Didi...much appreciated.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:31 PM
TE Expert

Cool Pictures

You should post more picture
here
Best regards

سعيد
Old 08-08-2014, 12:48 PM
TE Newbie

I have very little experience with processing. I have had issues with degradation in larger prints and was looking to improve it.