Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great delpeoples 2012-02-12 21:05

Gidday Giovanni

Ah the trust 20D never lets us don eh? What a cute little village you've found - you seem to have a knack of doing so. The colours are lovely despite the overcast weather and I like the square format alot. Is it a tad over-sharpened? It could be my dodgy monitor which often picks tht up in the brighter areas. The darker areas look fine though. Very strange.

Nevertheless a beautiful photo, thanks for sharing your Corfusian adventures with us
Lisa

Old 02-13-2012, 06:57 AM
TE Expert

Default To delpeoples: Oversharpened Corfotians.........

Ciao Lisa,

Perhaps I was a bit quick in uploading this one. I've been busy in the house sanding floors and redecorating so haven't had much time to get out and about with my camera, so no new pictures just now. Was just trawling through the archives.

Yes, I agree that it does look a tad oversharpened though I don't think I did anything much different from usual. I promise to try harder.

Oh, actually, I think the people (and so, also, the adventures) are referred to as "Corfotian" rather than "Corfusian".

Un abbraccio,

John.

P.S. Did you get all your virus problem sorted out and manage to retrieve all your files? I think I caught the virus too (it was something with the word "Blackole" in its titile) but my virus checker thankfully caught it and deleted it.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:29 AM
TE Expert

Smile Corfotian Corrections

Hi John

This is really strange: on the PC the photo looks fine. On my lap-top which is in 64 bit shows the over-sharpening. So I'm thinking maybe it's my monitor. I noticed that colours - on all photos not just yours - look a little washed out. So, apologies, my fault not yours.

Thanks for the Corfotian correction

Sanding floors eh? You are a real Mr Fix-It! Not a pretty job, the sanding's bad enough and then comes the lacquer...yuk. I look forward to seeing you back behind the 5D.

Well, most of my virus troubles are sorted. My external drive is fine now, but my PC just crashes from time to time if I run Roxio or too many programs at once. So I'll eventually need a pro to sort it out. I think it started through a dodgy Java Script update, not really sure.

Thanks for the nice critique, have a nice day
Lisa
Old 02-13-2012, 08:35 AM
TE Expert

Default Roxio?

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the floor sanding is getting me down a bit. In my old dusty clothes just now and about to start again at it but the sun's just coming up and it's going to be a lovely day - what a waste! Might do some work then have a shower and get out for a while later. Mustn't get bogged down too much in this sort of thing but if you don't tackle it then the job drags on for ages.

All just because Yvonne picked off a bit of old wallpaper a couple of weeks ago and then said, "Oh, dear, we need to redecorate this room.". So that weekend we both got steaming, then we both stripped and had it off. The wallpaper, that is. But still piles of work to do.

Roxio? Gosh, I've had two versions of that, the latest being Roxio Easy Media Creator 2009 Special Edition. I've found it to be one of the most unstable and unreliable programs I've ever used and most people out there on the internet tend to agree. I bought it originally for editing holiday videos and it was reasonable at first on my old computer but I'm certainly not impressed. Do you use it much and do you find it all right? I find that CD/DVD drives disappear, the program crashes frequently or the whole thing just freezes up.

Un abbraccio,

Giovanni.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 AM
TE Expert

Smile Stripping Off

You're a bad man. Way too much information

Interesting what you say about Roxio, I've experienced exactly the same problems. No I only use it to make DVDs and slideshows for the photos I take for other people. It crashed for the photos I did of the wedding last week which was very upsetting, especially after all the time I put into making it. I thought it was the virus, but maybe (actually, hopefully) it was just the Roxio program itself. Can you suggest any other program that might do the same things but is more stable?

I bought myself a wee pressie last week, it arrives on Tuesday. I'm gonna have to do a Brian McC and hide it from Le Petomane ))

I hope your hard work is soon over and you can escape soon.

Cheers
Lisa
Old 02-13-2012, 10:57 AM
TE Expert

Default A wee pressie?

Ciao Lisa,

A wee pressie indeed? Could that be something like the one I bought myself last year? A wee MarkII version of what you already have? Brilliant!!!

Be warned, though, the file sizes are huge because of those 21 megapixels and your computer will go a bit slower and your hard drives will fill up a darn sight quicker too. But it's worth it!

Incidentally, did you see that Nikon are bringing out the D800 next month with a staggering 36.6 Mp? That's incredible.

Funnily enough, I remember talking to a retired high-up R.A.F. guy I had as a patient over ten years ago and he told me that the two very first digital cameras ever made belonged to the American military and each of them cost several million dollars. And, if you look here, you'll see that the forerunner of all our cameras in 1995 only had 1.3 megapixels and cost 2 million yen, the equivalent of over 16,000! Amazing!!

You really will love the MarkII, especially for its brilliant high ISO capabilities - almost as good as the Nikon D700 and look at the low light shots Silvio takes with that - I'm sure that fellow never uses a tripod either, does he?

Yes, Roxio is c**p. I had vaguely thought about Adobe Premier Elements for editing video but I hardly do any of that these days anyway. Mind you, I might just try out the video capabilities of the 5D sometime - not tried that yet. But for making up slideshows, can't you just use the organising features in Photoshop or Elements?

Best go do some more sanding of that bloody floor. I bet you're like a kid waiting for your pressie to arrive. I hope LP is out when the postman comes!

Un abbraccio,

Giovanni.