Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great pboehringer 2009-01-28 10:44

Daniel,
I see that we got now a very similar equipment. Have you ever used the 28-70mm? Is there a real benefit in having the 24-70mm? I never tried both and just by the weight that I have with my equipment I thing that the 28-70mm might be the better option due to its lighter weight. How long do you have your D700? Satisfied? I am sure that the new processor of this machine contributes in part for this image even if most of it is gained through the HDR. I must say that your PP looks very convincing and natural. The ornage hues in the background are a real delight and well balanced with the stupas in the foreground.
Peter

Old 01-29-2009, 01:24 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To pboehringer: D700 quality

Hi Peter,

I've had my D700 only since just before Christmas. I dropped my D200 on the floor, and although I got it checked out by the Nikon Service Centre, I wasn't convinced there was no internal damage (it hit the floor sufficiently hard to dent the wide angle lens that I had on it) so decided it was time to upgrade. I was initially going to go for the D300, but eventually decided to splash out for the full frame D700, and I'm glad I did. The quality is great and the ability to crop hard and still get good photos is one of the things I really like with the FX model.

For example, you see the white temple in the middle of this post (tucked away in the trees, just left of centre). Well, I cropped that out and got quite a passable 500x350 photo for the web from it - certainly as good as anything you would get from a P&S close to the temple - and my guess is that I was using only about 2-3% of the frame!

I haven't seen the 28-70mm lens. It is not available in Malaysia. Only the 24-70mm is. I am a bit puzzled re your comment about the weight. According to the Nikon website here, the 28-70mm weighs 935g whilst my 24-70mm weighs 900g - so mine is a fraction lighter than yours. Or could we be talking about a different lens?

Cheers . . . David
Old 01-31-2009, 01:17 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To pboehringer: D700 quality

Funny, my D200 had the same fate as yours. It was on a tripod at the Golden Gate area and the wind tipped it off. The lens hood was broken, the lens got a small scratch and still functioning and the cameras port for the remote release cord was smashed. Everything else was still working and jet I had the impression that this was a "divine sign" for an upgrade. I am quite happy with the full format too.

Now your question regards the lenses 24-70mm and 28-70mm I have to admit that you're absolutely right. It was my mistake. Disregard my error.

Peter