Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photography

Notices

Old 11-15-2004, 05:19 PM
TE Expert

Default Baraka

Let’s get a couple of things straight, right away : I personally think that photography and animated film are two different universes, and avoid as much as I can, to confound these two approaches.

I am also far from being a mystical individual looking after my Karma in the shape of clouds, or talking to the trees and the little flowers in the fields.

This thread is intended to recommend you a film called Baraka . If you read some of the reviews in the link provided to Amazon, you’ll soon realize that most of them exalt this film as if it was a divine message, a sort of tribute to mankind… well, I personally don’t share that kind of enthusiasm as far as an eventual philosophical message hidden behind the images.

This is a film, or rather a succession of images with no connection between them (if you want to find a connection yourself, you’re welcome), no dialogues, no context (mmhh.. at least a coherent context), no history.

I’m suggesting it to you for two reasons:

1.)Independently of the author’s intention (actually I still can’t say what his real intention was), this film is made of an extraordinary succession of photographs. Each image is a photograph in itself (or could have been a photograph if it hadn’t been part of a film). Every type of photography, from landscape, to portraiture, to street photography, can be found here. It is an extraordinary film from a graphic point of view.

2.)This movie was filmed in 24 countries around the world, representing fragments of different cultures, even though they often lack a context or an explanation.

These two factors allow this film to be referenced here in TE, in my opinion of course. To all of those who will discover it through this thread, I would like to precise, once again, that if I truly think it is very interesting from a visual point of view, I don’t share in any way the mystical message some viewers want to find in it.

Cheers
Old 11-17-2004, 07:14 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Baraka

j ai vu ce film 3 fois au cinéma lorsqu'il est sorti... je l'ai en vidéo... c'est le plus magnifique film que j'ai pu voir... mi-film, mi-documentaire, la musique nous transporte en plus des images... à voir absolument!!! on traverse différents tableaux comme la vie, la mort... ce film est à voir absolument surtout en ces temps de guerre et catastrophes en tout genre... ça donne à réfléchir... bref, une bonne claque... mais qui fait du bien!!!
enjoy it!
Old 11-23-2004, 12:20 AM
TE Junior Member

Default baraka

i once told Sohrab that it was a film about TE. I actually tried to send it to him, but it got holt in customs...illegal copy.

You know what my favourite scene is? When a dervish kisses a younger one on the forehead. Wish i could have been there with a camera.

Bogdan.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:32 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Baraka and its counterpart

IMHO, Baraka is better enjoyed if you also see "Koyaanisqatsi", a film made in 1982 with sound track by Phillip Glass.
I saw it that year and i keep returning to it.

http://www.koyaanisqatsi.org/films/koyaanisqatsi.php

for those ones who like to read reviews: http://www.uky.edu/StudentOrgs/BWW/koyaan.html

kiss to all and a great week.

Isabel
Old 11-30-2004, 01:03 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Baraka

Hi Gal, if you visit the site www.spiritofbaraka.com you can find another films, made by the same director and others ones, that shows the author's intention (in my opinion).
Cheers.