Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 10-14-2004, 07:36 AM
TE Expert

Default TOS Changes and More

Original: Critiques which include broad generalizations such as good composition, nice colors etc. should be marked as a comment. Such critiques may be marked as a comment. Writing excessive amounts of these general critiques may be removed, and the ability to write critiques may be disabled. (It will still be possible to write comments.)

New: Critiques which include broad generalizations such as good composition, nice colors etc. should be marked as a comment. Writing these general critiques may be removed, and the ability to write critiques may be disabled. (It will still be possible to write comments.)

Meaning: Anyone with more a few 'nice shot' type critiques that have not been marked as a comment will have critiquing ability turned off. However it will still be possible to write comments. If you still want to write critiques, your account will be reviewed later to confirm that actual critiques are being written.

Added: Critiques may not contain any mention of points to be given in the future. If you run out of points, feel free to continue writing thoughtful critiques without mention of points.

Meaning: I want to remove a perception that this site is mostly about points, which this helps contribute to.

In addition, since critique ability is turned off for some members who write general critiques, the default is now to supress comments. Everyone's account has been reset to display comments in a separate section, which may be accessed by clicking [view] in the comments row of the photo information section.

Finally, all themes referring to X amount of points have been removed, and will no longer be permitted. I feel this goes against the spirit of the site since it's not possible to sort by highest rated etc.

Thanks for any feedback on this. And please consider taking advantage of the Lists feature to track like-minded members, whoever they may be. Remember that this site is a diverse, open community with members participating with many different goals and ideas in mind.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:07 PM

Default Re: TOS Changes and More

I think these are good decisions. General remarks on photos should be discouraged to be considered as critiques, and if strong measures are needed, like disabling the critique ability, I think they should be implemented.

Just a suggestion, maybe near the critique field there could be an advice for people to write the critiques in a language they feel comfortable with, and thus more adequate to share quality critiques.

I think some people are a bit scared to write in the native languages because they are afraid not to be understood; as well being TE is in the vast majority an English spoken site people feel “forced” to comply to this “rule”. By forced I mean people tend to follow the main stream, and this advice may give more ease to people.

I can state that since I’ve written in the top of my notes the languages that people are free to write since I understand them fairly well, many members opted to write in their native languages and the quality of their critiques did in fact increased.

Absolutly agree with the statement that TE is "a diverse, open community with members participating with many different goals and ideas in mind."

And that like-minded people could make use of the Favorite Members, and Lists feature, to get togheter with people that have the same views and objectives and thus experience TE the way they prefer.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:17 PM
TE Senior Member

Would it be too hard to be able to make it possible to see which people have rated your critique as useful?

This may encourage people to give good critiques if they can who and what critiques are getting the useful marks.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Banned

HI Adam,

Some feedback:

"If you still want to write critiques, your account will be reviewed later to confirm that actual critiques are being written."

what do you mean here exactly ? Wouldn't it be an idea to implement a fixed "no-Critique" time, I'm thinking on a system similar to ice hockey or rugby where people are sent out during 10 minutes. With the current wording I get the feeling that people could be treated in an unequal way...
Also you could implement a message informing the user that his critiquing ability is locked for the next xx days.

Best Regards,
Jean-Yves
Old 10-15-2004, 07:02 AM
TE Expert

Thanks Jean-Yves for this idea. I plan on using it. What I envision is:

1. Ability for me to mark a critique as going against the tos.

1a. Each time an email will be sent noting this, along with the critique.

2. After X number of these marks have been accrued, a listbox will be displayed next to each of their critiques in which the ability to turn of critique writing for some Y time period (1 hour/1 day/1 week/permanently) may be used for the following critique deemed to go against the tos.

2a. An email will be sent noting this. This will also be explained in the critique area.

3. These marks will expire over time.

Note that it will always be possible to write comments. And for those who don't care what critiques are written, it's possible to turn on Comment display so it's displayed in the same place as critiques are.

If there are any additional suggestions about this please let me know. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:42 AM
Banned

Hi Adam, I think it could work well this way, I'm now interested in reading what other members think about it.

In addition to a bit of programming, what should now be worked out is the definition of X, Y and "over time"

A nice day to everybody !
Old 10-20-2004, 12:00 AM
TE Expert

For me, it's somewhat difficult to write long and deep critique for a photo because my problems with English language. I have many grammatical and syntax problems!

That's why I don't write critiques with many words!
Old 10-20-2004, 01:08 PM
TE Expert

I think in that case it would be fine to write a critique in ones mother tongue, as many do. Up to the receiver to work it out.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:07 AM
TE Expert

OK, this change has been made. There are no exact definitions of X or Y, but reported critiques will expire after one week. Initially critiques will be disabled for 1 hour usually, and this time period will be increased each time. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:23 AM
TE Expert

Whilst paying particular care to remain within these newly defined TOS guidelines, I've found myself on a couple of occasions finding things to say about the subject of the photo, rather than the compo. Most of this recent discussion around critiques has centred on what the critiquer has to say about the photo per se. The site's mission statement, however 'learning about the world through photography' suggests that the subject matter is of equal importance to the compo. Occassionally I feel that a critique is worth making in terms of this aspect only. I think it would be useful if you (Adam) could define this as acceptable under the new TOS.