The TrekEarth Forums

The TrekEarth Forums (http://www.trekearth.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (http://www.trekearth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Photo size: we need information (http://www.trekearth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914223)

vjmite 11-23-2013 12:15 AM

Photo size: we need information

There has been some discussion of photo size lately. In short, we have either no information or conflicting information.

Where do we find out how big a submitted photo (dimensions and file size) can be? There is nothing on the main TrekEarth page. If I dig down into the FAQs I find that the maximum file size is 300 kb. But nothing about dimensions. Then when I go to upload a photo I finally find out the allowed dimensions (which are quite large), but it's too late by this stage as I have already sized the photo. Now I have to go back and resize it. Also I find here that the maximum file size is 500 kb, not 300 kb - which is correct?

Then when I submit a large photo it is presented at 800 pixels maximum - so what's the point of submitting a large photo? Where on the website does it say that this will happen? In fact I only discovered a few days ago, by reading through the forum, that if I right click on the photo and open it in a new tab, it will appear at the large size (this works in Chrome and Safari but not Internet Explorer). Where does it say that we can do this? How many TrekEarth members are unaware of this? Where are the instructions that tell us to do this if we want to see the full size photo?

We need all this information up front where it easily found. This can't be a difficult thing to do. Surely these are the most important matters for members: what are the size limits on photos, and how do I view them properly?

SnapRJW 11-25-2013 07:42 AM

Size

I’m not sure if this will help but this is what I do.

You might have noticed that there is a beta version of TE and here you can view larger images. This is the link to your member page http://beta.trekearth.com/members/vjmite/

These days I load shots up on the normal TE site and add a link in my notes to the beta version where you can view the larger size. Have a look here to get the idea,http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Afr...oto1442149.htm click on the “Here is a larger version” and it will take you to the beta image

I upload images at a Jpeg size of 1185px wide at a resolution of 72 DPI, these are re-sized down for the normal TE site but fit well screen-wise on the beta version.

Let me know if this helps Vincent.
Rosemary

vjmite 11-25-2013 10:36 AM

Photo size

Thanks Rosemary. I didn't know how to get the beta version.

However, I can see the large version in the standard TE site simply by right clicking on your photo and choosing "Open image in new tab" (at least in Chrome or Safari). Did you know that? All you have to do is put a sentence at the end of your note giving that instruction.

My point is that I (and anyone else viewing the site) should not have to trawl through the forum to find this out. There should be a note on the page showing the photo that tells us to do this. Just as there should be a note telling us what photo size is allowed on the site.

There are probably thousands of people looking at this site who are only seeing the small versions of photos when larger versions are available, and there are probably hundreds of TE members who don't realize that they can submit larger photos that will actually appear at the original size, not just at 800 pixels maximum.

Vince

SnapRJW 11-25-2013 10:46 AM

You're right

Hi Vince - I agree with what you say, it is a bit of a mission to navigate around the site and proper instruction are needed. Mods.... when you read this could you pass the requirements on to the tech team please?

Thanks

maloutim 11-30-2013 07:21 PM

It's now seven days since this thread was started and no moderator or administrator has bothered to answer !
I find they let go of the defaults, and don't seem to really do anything about them.
Same with the map viewing. Is something being done about this ?

IBAlex 12-03-2013 12:32 AM

Hello,
This message was seen last week however it wasn't until today that I received the answer from tech team.
Here are the parameters I got from them:

UPLOAD SIZE = 7 Megs per image; maximum size is 3500px X 3500px.
However, on the live version pictures would be re-sized to 800px. The reason for that was already discussed in other threads (after we increased to px size many users were complaining that they cannot see the picture "at once" and asked to change it back).

I asked Tech team to rewrite the FAQ and Upload Section so that there is no confusion and we have the same information. I cannot do that unfortunately.

thanks!
Alex

IBAlex 12-04-2013 05:40 PM

Hello!
Tech team just updated the Upload section as well as FAQ #11. Please have a look:
http://www.trekearth.com/upload.php
http://www.trekearth.com/faq.php

Thank you!

vjmite 12-08-2013 11:02 AM

Photo size

The new information in the FAQ and the upload page is good. Now it is fairly easy to work out what size limits apply to photos.

However, there is still the crazy situation that we can upload a photo of 3500 pixels but it will only be shown at 800 pixels. Anyone new to the site, or who has not wasted many hours searching through the forum, will ask: why bother uploading a big photo? There needs to be a note on the upload page saying that right clicking on the photo and opening it in a new tab will reveal the original photo at full size, so it is indeed worth submitting a large photo.

I have also been shown how to open up the beta version of TrekEarth, which will present the full size photo. But this is pretty useless - most members probably don't even know there is a beta version (like me until recently), given that there is no information about it on this site (none that I can find).

Vince

Keitht 12-08-2013 07:01 PM

I'm in complete agreement with you Vince. I can't see the point of being able to post a large file and then having it re-sized before being shown on the site.

I've only seen a couple of images where this has been done and the image (as viewed on TE) actually looks to have been poorly compressed / resized and quality lost.

Far better I would say to do your own resizing and compressing to ensure you get the best possible result.

SnapRJW 12-09-2013 03:01 PM

Here are the parameters I got from them:

UPLOAD SIZE = 7 Megs per image; maximum size is 3500px X 3500px.
However, on the live version pictures would be re-sized to 800px. The reason for that was already discussed in other threads (after we increased to px size many users were complaining that they cannot see the picture "at once" and asked to change it back).

Hi Alex - I'm back again with the sizing issue and refer to your quote above. After reading various threads on this issue and the problems encountered, is it not possible to the tech team to assess what size the picture placement 'holder' should be to allow the maximum size shot which can be seen in its entirety on the new TE site and then for them to compute the number of pixels/cm/inches an upload should be to work within that frame? Simply allowing a 3500x3500 obviously means the shot will be too large for a screen. On my screen the maximum # of pixels I can view an image at is 1500 wide and 1000 deep if I wish to see the whole shot at once. Larger than this in either width or depth means I have to scroll. It should also be noted that at this size my screen is full so it is too large for any text to be seen at the same time. Most recently I have been uploading shots at about 1250 px wide and 892 px deep, this allows them to be seen at a good size and resolution on the beta version but it would be excellent if the tech team could apply similar dimensions to the main TE site.

Reading through the various comments/threads on this subject, I get th feeling that the tech team didn't really do their homework before making the initial changes. I'm sure with a little thought they are more than capable of getting this right.

I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks for you time.

Rosemary