The TrekEarth Forums

The TrekEarth Forums (http://www.trekearth.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips-Techniques (http://www.trekearth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Photos of people (http://www.trekearth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=899123)

Mondaychild 03-05-2013 12:13 PM

Photos of people

Hello my dear fellow Trekkies,

most of the "People"-photos on this website are photos of people in other countries.
E.g. a member from France posts a photo of kids in a slum in Cambodia, a Polish member posts a photo of a farmer in India and so on.

Hardly anybody posts photos of people of one´s own country. Why not? Because people in some popular travel destinations are used to be captured; they know that they´re "exotic".

I think if I would ask a vegetable vendor in my town´s weekly street market, or the Kebap guy, or the lady at the counter of McDonald´s ... well, they would probably think I´m crazy if I came up with the wish to take a photo of them.

How do you feel about this topic? Ever tried it?

Gisi

ACL1978 03-06-2013 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mondaychild (Post 1232674)
Hello my dear fellow Trekkies,

most of the "People"-photos on this website are photos of people in other countries.
E.g. a member from France posts a photo of kids in a slum in Cambodia, a Polish member posts a photo of a farmer in India and so on.

Hardly anybody posts photos of people of one´s own country. Why not? Because people in some popular travel destinations are used to be captured; they know that they´re "exotic".

I think if I would ask a vegetable vendor in my town´s weekly street market, or the Kebap guy, or the lady at the counter of McDonald´s ... well, they would probably think I´m crazy if I came up with the wish to take a photo of them.

How do you feel about this topic? Ever tried it?

Gisi

Gisi, interesting that you mention this, as I've considered it in the past. I have posted photos of people in the US, and in fact am about to post several more, but it does feel different than doing so in a foreign country as a tourist. Perhaps there's a level of engagement with the surroundings that is different while one is away from familiar soil? Good question, though, and worthy of discussion.

Andrew

emka 03-07-2013 08:39 PM

Hi, it is interesting question. I think it is not quite true. There are people who make photos mainly of the people or street scenes and then the people can be of their own country - see photos by Takero - the people are Japanese. But I admit that when you are in a foreign country it is more natural that you make photos of people. If someone in my country asked me why I made photo of him/her, I wouldn't know what to answer.
On the other hand, for Western tourists Asian or African people seem much more interesting - they have exotic dresses, behave in quite different way.
And other thing - in TOS, the self-portrait, images of friends, family, neighbours are forbidden. More safe is to show people of other country.

notrap 03-29-2013 05:32 PM

den Blick schärfen

Hallo Gisi,
eigentlich wollte protestieren: ich habe doch jede Menge Fotos von Leuten aus Deutschland, ABER!, als ich meine Galerie daraufhin durchgechecked habe, mußte ich ganz schön weit zurückblättern, um welche zu finden. Man ist zu Hause eben betriebsblind, das ist bestimmt einer der Gründe. Ich bin ein Fan von guten Street-Fotos (meine gehören nicht dazu), aber hier auf TE ist diese Kategorie nicht unbedingt der Punktebringer. Außerdem finde ich, wenn man in dieser Disziplin gut sein will, muß man sich mehr anstrengen als z.B. bei Sonnenuntergängen. Eigentlich sind Fotos mit Menschen drauf interessanter, Menschen schauen anderen gern dabei zu, was sie tun. Den Menschen freut der Mensch.
Eine zweite Sache ist, daß man Mut braucht, um Leuten ins Gesicht zu fotografieren. Vorher zu fragen ist eine schwierige Sache, weil das Motiv nicht mehr da ist, sobald jemand weiß, daß er fotografiert wird. Nachher zu fragen ist auch nicht leicht, weil dann immer die Rückfrage kommt: und wozu brauchen Sie das? Anscheinend ist es leichter, ganz exotische Menschen, deren Sprache man nicht spricht und die man nie wiedersehen wird zu portraitieren.
Falls Du die Galerie eines hervorragenden Leute-Beobachters anschauen möchtest: geh mal zu wolf38, falls Du ihn noch nicht entdeckt hast. Auch er hat nicht nur People im Angebot, aber sehr viel mehr als andere Trekearther, und er ist ziemlich gut, da kann man sich eine Scheibe davon abschneiden.
Liebe Grüße,
Elvira

CLODO 12-12-2013 07:51 PM

pictures of people - street photography

I agree that we are more tempted to take picture of persons in the foreign countries because they are so different from the ones we met everyday, but as you spend more time in your own country, it is easyer to take picture; the only problem is to DARE, don't be too SHY. It's really fun, and for starting you can use long telephoto, but the major tips are:
- be ready to fire, so remove the cap, camera ON,
- settings must be ready (Programm mode),
- be alert, imaginative,......

You will find here a good example http://www.thomasleuthard.com/books.html :)
Check also my gallery :cool:

The members of this site do not seem to appreciate this gender, they like more landscapes and architecture........