The TrekEarth Forums

The TrekEarth Forums (http://www.trekearth.com/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.trekearth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Spring, flowers and TOS (http://www.trekearth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812276)

Moderator 03-24-2010 09:27 PM

Spring, flowers and TOS

Hi all
This message concerns all the members of TrekEarth and especially the "new ones".
Spring is time for great pictures but each of us must remember that the TOS does not allow close shots of flowers and/or plants.
Rule 5 of TOS: http://www.trekearth.com/terms.php As the purpose of TrekEarth is to learn about the world through photography, shots of common objects (like closeups of any flowers or plants, water droplets, toothbrushes etc.) tend not teach us anything without a suitable note (not a Wikipedia copy or else), so unless there's a suitable note they will be deactivated at the discretion of site moderators. If you wish to post these types of image please consider using our sister site TrekLens: http://www.treklens.com/

A solution
If you wish to post a flower in TE, it's possible to post it in a WS of your main subject.
And for your Easter wishes nothing prevents you from writing a few lines in the general forum with a link to your WS.

Thank you for your understanding.

Keitht 04-03-2013 03:56 PM

Bumped as a reminder.

ChrisJ 05-16-2013 09:59 AM

Hi

The t.o.s. does NOT say "no flowers whatsoever". It says no closeups. I would hardly consider a standard lens view of 55mm, of over 100 tulips, in 3 different color layers, to be a "macro" or 'close up' shot. The t.o.s. also state that if a suitable note accompanies such an image, it will be permitted.

Still waiting on the courtesy of an email or reply, in regard to my deleted image. So far, I have had 20 likes in facebook for the deleted image, and 1 'hate' on TE. Maybe it's time I started looking for another website or start posting all of my future images on FB? And I no longer post on TL, because that site is poorly moderated and home to a few troublesome sociopaths who rarely post images but delight in stirring up trouble and scaring members away...

Really disappointed in the attitude of moderators here.

UlfE 05-17-2013 09:14 PM

Spring, flowers and TOS

The TOS does NOT say closeups. It says “As the purpose of TrekEarth is to learn about the world through photography, shots of COMMON OBJECTS (like closeups of any flowers or plants, water droplets, toothbrushes etc.) tend not teach us anything without a suitable note. “

Moreover, you accuse Moderators of being sociopats, i.e. affected by mental illness. Such an offensive insult raises doubts if you understand the meaning of courtesy.

Porteplume 05-17-2013 09:56 PM

I couldn't find the right words to express my feeling in the way the moderators have been treated lately but I fully agree with you, Ulf, thank you...

Viviane

ChrisJ 05-17-2013 09:57 PM

Semantics

Quote:

The TOS does NOT say closeups. It says “As the purpose of TrekEarth is to learn about the world through photography, shots of COMMON OBJECTS (like closeups of any flowers or plants, water droplets, toothbrushes etc.) tend not teach us anything without a suitable note.“
A suitable note WAS attached. Since when has a standard lens of 55 mm been a macro / close up shot ? News to me. Stop playing semantics. No wonder so many TE members have left recently! You are driving them away with capricious & arbitrary decisions.

Quote:

Moreover, you accuse Moderators of being sociopats (sic), i.e. affected by mental illness. Such an offensive insult raises doubts if you understand the meaning of courtesy.
That's NOT what I said at all. I said that I no longer post on TL because it is poorly moderated and there are a couple of members there (Foxe's Hat for one) who drive other members away with constant barbs in the forums, & nasty comments on my posts and other members too, such as 'anyone who critiqued this image positively is a liar.' Do I have to post pm's in their entirety to a public forum to get through?

Guess I WILL be sending that complaint to the ombudsman. NO ONE IS LISTENING HERE. Worse still, they are deliberately distorting what I said to suit their own ends.

fanni 05-17-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisJ (Post 1238089)
I WILL be sending that complaint to the ombudsman.

Why to the ombudsman, Chris?
Go directly to The European Court of Human Rights ;)

ChrisJ 05-17-2013 10:21 PM

Not amused

Quote:

Go directly to The European Court of Human Rights
If you don't have anything constructive to say best to keep quiet.

fanni 05-17-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisJ (Post 1238094)
If you don't have anything constructive to say best to keep quiet.

1. I have already said "something constructive" - see here:
http://www.trekearth.com/forums/show...47#post1238047
But, quoting your own words, "NO ONE IS LISTENING HERE".

2. As I see you are being quite impolite, aren't you. :mad:

ChrisJ 05-17-2013 11:18 PM

Read the tos

Fanni

Maybe YOU should read the terms of service, especially this part:

"Personal attacks, harassing, intimidating, stalking or threatening other community members are not permitted and will not be tolerated.
Heated discussions are permissible; however keep it under control and respectful at all times. Do not flame people, and do not instigate fights. Replies are allowed, but remember that respectful conduct is expected. If you disagree with a post, just state your own opinion and reasons for thinking so. Do not intentionally start or perpetuate antagonistic or inflammatory threads, particularly those directed at another member. In particular, when someone posts personal insults or attacks, it is better NOT to reply (which can escalate the hostility), but rather, to report the post to a moderator. Remember: attack ideas but not fellow members
!"