PDA

View Full Version : Compression size problem

ninadev
07-09-2003, 02:09 PM
Thanks Gringofil, and you all, for your comments on my Fantom of Lazaretto picture. I do agree that this picture has a too low compression size but I have a problem in doing so. The original image was 1280 X 960 for 302 KB. When I renamed it with ACD See (image viewer) it automatically fell down to 52 KB and when I reduced the size to 800 pixels it again fell down to 23 KB. Can you give me a way to post my pictures in the right size without being so much compressed.

mdchachi
07-09-2003, 03:48 PM
When you do a File -> Save As see if there is an Options button. If so, that is probably where you would set the level of compression. 70 to 80% of the maximum setting is normally sufficient.

gringofil
07-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Or you can pick up a free copy of Irfan View at:

http://www.irfanview.com

It's a great little tool for resizing images. You can also save with various compression settings. I use Photoshop and just as an example I start off with the least compressed image and work my way down to below the 200 KB limit. But Irfan View is great. Download it and have a try. Sometimes I resize images to about 600 pixels just so I can keep the image as least compressed as possible.

Mike
07-09-2003, 05:26 PM
Don't worry too much about the file size of this particular picture, it's exactly because of its nature that the size is so small, without getting technical too much, the eventual file size depends on how complex an image is, as an example if you create an 800x600 image in photoshop and fill it with just one colour, then save it the file size would be just 17k, add some random noise to the picture and save it, this time the file size jumps to 117k, it's the way compression works.

Now, Fantom consists mostly of reds and a lot of the picture is basically the same colour so the JPG file size will be small, around 23k sounds about right in this case!

ninadev
07-09-2003, 07:44 PM
Thanks Grigofil for the suggestion of www.irfanview.com. I'll try it soon.
And also, very interesting Mike the stuff about the compression size related to the number of colors in a picture. Very technical indeed but I now understand how it happened, particularly in this case where the red is predominent.