PDA

View Full Version : the points system

syair
11-26-2002, 01:44 PM
can you explain the points (numbers) you get near the photos? and is there any contest on points?

mdchachi
11-26-2002, 04:52 PM
Yeah, we're all striving to win a trip to Cancun. ;)

The point system is explained <a href="http://www.trekearth.com/read.php?f=4&t=18&m=53">here.</a> As for the reason there are points at all, I believe it is to help the system determine what to display on the front page. Plus it gives the photographers a feedback summary which we can use to easily judge how our photos have been received.

adam
11-26-2002, 09:01 PM
The link Mike listed above explains the rating system. There are no contest for points because this would tend to encourage point inflation where people start giving each other points just for the sake of getting points. No pun intended, but the point of TrekEarth is too encourage meaningful critiques. Points are just a way that I can somewhat filter photos when displaying photos on main page etc. And a cumulative system is more fun and interesting in my opinion.

syair
11-26-2002, 10:49 PM
can I add points without giving a critique?

adam
11-27-2002, 04:36 AM
It's not possible because I want to encourage actual written critiques. It's more helpful for everyone because we all learn from reading critiques.

TheDunno
11-27-2002, 10:50 AM
I am glad for the written critiques. There is always the danger with a point system that it will turn in some kind of competition for the most points. I think this is happening on photosig. A lot of people just give very positive ratings with the sole intention of getting ratings back.

So far on this site i think the critiques i got have been honest. I hope it stays that way.

adam
11-27-2002, 11:13 AM
Exactly. I absolutely don't want that to happen at all and will do everything possible for that not to happen. I'm more concerned about QUALITATIVE critiques as opposed to QUANTITY.

BobTrips
11-27-2002, 06:59 PM
How about rethinking the point system? Is there any reason for the point totals to be displayed?

I would find it more helpful to see the number of times that a photo has been critiqued so that I can quickly read through other's critiques.

I see this site as a place where I can post pictures and have them critically evaluated. In the few days that I've been here I've learned a great deal about how to improve my photography.

I'd like to see this site evolve into having a 'Workshop' section where people could download a posted shot, perform their edits, and repost.

adam
11-28-2002, 05:00 AM
"How about rethinking the point system? Is there any reason for the point totals to be displayed?"

Hmm, I never thought about not displaying points, but it's an interesting idea. I will keep this in mind.

"I would find it more helpful to see the number of times that a photo has been critiqued so that I can quickly read through other's critiques."

Generally, a bigger point total will correspond to a larger number of critiques.

"I'd like to see this site evolve into having a 'Workshop' section where people could download a posted shot, perform their edits, and repost."

I like this 'workshop' section idea. By 'download a posted shot', do you mean, someone else's photo?

BobTrips
11-28-2002, 05:21 AM
"Generally, a bigger point total will correspond to a larger number of critiques."

True, but simply posting the number of critiques takes the competition element out of the mix. (Then there's that photo of mine which has gathered some critiques and absolutely NO points ;o).

"I like this 'workshop' section idea. By 'download a posted shot', do you mean, someone else's photo?"

Sure. Might want to add an "OK to work on this shot." toggle.

This happens frequently at dpreview when people post 'how would you fix this?' question. People download the shot, work on it with their editor, and upload their version.

I've downloaded many shots from this site (for my personal use only), done some quick edits, and then posted my critique. I'd love to have someone take one of my shots and show me how to make it better.

Whether I agree that their version is better than mine is totally my choice in the end. I suspect that I can learn from looking at my photos through other's eyes. I can also learn more about what is possible in the dry darkroom.

My guess is that this could be implemented within the existing Photo discussion section. We would just need the ability to upload photos with our replies. It would be nice to see side-by-side versions.

adam
11-29-2002, 08:23 PM
"My guess is that this could be implemented within the existing Photo discussion section. We would just need the ability to upload photos with our replies. It would be nice to see side-by-side versions."

I'm going to work on this workshop idea now. Every photo will have a toggle, 'Allow reposts from other members'. When browsing photos, if the toggle is set on, there will be a link at left 'Re-Post' where other members can upload that member's edited photo. When browsing photos, there will be a link next to Photo Version line called 'Workshop', where members can see the edited image. Once I get the basics down, I'll add in the side-by-side features etc.