PDA

View Full Version : about Mexico...

BobTrips
11-25-2002, 09:20 AM
Notice that you have Mexico classified as part of Central America. It should be part of North America. The Mexicans certainly consider themselves Norte Americanos.....

adam
11-25-2002, 10:08 AM
Yes, I originally had it that way. But then technically I would have to add all the other Central American and Caribbean countries to North America so I decided to separate out Central America/Caribbean countries. This also corresponds to the atlas I used when deciding how to classify countries etc. It's called, "The Complete World Atlas" (Males & Zeijlstra).

adam
11-25-2002, 10:19 AM
I also separated Middle East countries even though techincally it's part of Asia.

mdchachi
11-25-2002, 07:31 PM
For what it's worth, fodors.com, lonelyplanet.com, dmoz.org and virtualtourist.com all put Mexico in North America. Most sites put the Caribbean in its own region and keep Central America separate (or group it with South America). Considering that this is a <i>Travel</i> photo site, I would be inclined to give more weight to the categorization scheme of the big travel guide publishers over that of a world atlas.

adam
11-25-2002, 08:07 PM
OK, I'll change it. I'm re-doing the map now.

adam
11-25-2002, 09:00 PM
Well, I moved Mexico to North America. But the map doesn't look very nice now as Central America is tiny. I can either leave it as is, move Central America to North America, or go back to the original way having Mexico in Central America. What do others think?

BobTrips
11-25-2002, 10:10 PM
I'd look at the distribution of photos. Maybe a Central/South America if there are less photos here than North America.

mdchachi
11-26-2002, 12:14 AM
The way it is now looks ok to me. That's essentially what Rough Guides does:
http://travel.roughguides.com/default.html