PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Australia?

kckuddes
06-18-2003, 07:35 AM
Well I'm headed for Melborne, Sydney and Newcastle in a couple of weeks. Spending about 4 days at each city and flying between Melborne & Sydney and then driving on the wrong side to Newcastle.

Any sugestions would be I would be greatful for such as got to see this or avoid this.

Thanks,

Kent

AdrianW
06-18-2003, 03:02 PM
Obviously you're interested in photography, but are there other things you're interested in as well?

Sydney harbour is an amazing place to do at night, the reflections are <i>stunning</i>. Wollongong has the Nan Tien Buddhist Temple, which is definitely worth a shot (or twenty). Blowhole/lighthouse are good at Kiama. Yarra River in Melbourne CBD is nice at night.

Let me know if you're interested in wildlife...

kckuddes
06-18-2003, 06:09 PM
Adrian,

I'm interested in history, wildlife, flowers, naval ships, bridges, trains, historic buildings, food and wine.

Kent

AdrianW
06-18-2003, 06:44 PM
Sydney has some excellent food, and the Hunter Valley has some excellent wines. Wildlife - I <i>strongly</i> recommend the <a href="http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/product_detail.cfm?productID=425&seriesID=9&seriesname=Watching%20Wildlife%20Guides&" target="_blank">LonelyPlanet Watching Wildlife: Australia</a> guide. There are flying foxes in the Botannic Gardens (Sydney), and there are also Sulphur Crested Cockatoos a plenty.

You might also like to make your way into the Blue Mountains, there are some very nice waterfalls there :-)

Naval stuff, Wolloomoloo (Sydney) is a naval base - whether you'll be able to get near it is anyone's guess though...