PDA

View Full Version : Critique or comment?

Longroute
09-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Does anyone ever read the TOS?

Have a look at these two strict rules:

Critiques

2. Overly general critiques i.e. Nice shot, Great, I like it a lot! etc. are prohibited and will be removed.

Comments:
1. Comments are general statements, words of support and encouragement. Use comments to leave general feedback like good composition, nice colors.

Now let’s be practical: wouldn’t it be better to have stated “Overly general critiques… are not advised” instead of “prohibited”? Isn’t it too strong?
C’mon administrators and moderators did you ever read the critiques commonly written in TE?
80% or more of them should be removed for this reason… it’s a lost battle, why not be more tolerant? Only a small minority writes comments instead of critiques, if you really want this rule to be respected without too much effort on your part the solution would be to set “comment” as the first default choice. What do you think?

Regards,
longroute

Keitht
09-07-2009, 05:22 PM
The simple act of changing the default from Critique to Comment would seem to be the obvious solution. I don't believe that most people deliberately flout the rules when posting their thoughts. If members had to actively change the choice to 'Critique' and still posted the likes of "Nice shot" then their intention would be much more obvious.

feather
09-08-2009, 12:49 PM
I think the fact that the default is 'critique' is because right from the beginning, Adam wanted this site to offer more than most of the other sites that go down the 'Nice shot' route. If 'comment' was set as default you would get more of those kind of comments. I think that the fact that comments are not shown on the critiques pages is also telling. The covert message is, if you write comments few people will see them. I have to admit that I don't often look at my 'comments' page, and often only see them accidentally if I go back to the photos themselves.
I know this doesn't answer your query Ingenua. Maybe we shouldn't 'rock the boat'. There are too many complaints already about deleted photos. I can imagine a scenario where people are complaining about their right to write critiques being taken away. (I can think of at least 3 people this has happened to over the years.)
Kath

isabela_sor
09-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Right , Kath
One of those 3 :))))

Longroute
09-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Hi Isabela,

now I know why you are the only person I know who writes comments instead of critiques! You are the only one who respects the rule! (:-)

No, Kath,

no complaining intended, just a reflection and maybe a suggestion. Moderators, being so few, already have a lot of work to do, imagine what would happen if they had to remove ALL the critiques which don't correspond to the allowed standard... I think it's much wiser to be tolerant (on their part) and act like Isabela (on our part).
Furthermore my intention was to rise a certain awareness about TOS and our duty to respect them and to hear what the other members think about this issue.

Thanks for your ideas,

Ingenua

feather
09-08-2009, 04:14 PM
No I wasn't suggesting <I>you</I> were complaning. BUT can you imagine how the forum would be full of complaints if people kept getting their critique ability taken away!?
It's a valuable thread.
Kath

Longroute
09-08-2009, 05:43 PM
All right Kath,

I think I got what you meant.

"Adam wanted this site to offer more than most of the other sites that go down the 'Nice shot' route. If 'comment' was set as default you would get more of those kind of comments. "

I hadn't thought about that and it makes sense to me. Actually I found myself lately posting less photos but dedicating more time to meaningful critiques (as far as I can - of course!) and I have to say I'm enjoying it!

Thanks again for your thoughts,
Ingenua

katiep
11-09-2009, 09:43 PM
thank you for this question. I am relatively new and dont know how to write critiques as I don't know about photography that much. I think I will follow you and write comments in feature. I've read TOS but got confused reading the critiques. I am not keen on points and I like to give smiley if I liked the photo, just too say that their photo made me happy. Unfortunately points and smiley go togheter.

Longroute
11-10-2009, 07:01 AM
Hello Katie,

I think you can write critiques (in the sense meant by the TOS) very easily: just let you heart speak and say why you like the photo. Maybe in the beginning nothing will come to your mind but asking oneselves "Why I like this photo? what is it that makes it beautiful to my eyes?" it's a kind of training that will develop your capacity to evaluate both other people photos and as well as your own. That I think was the initial purpose of TE.
Thanks for your participation in the forum,
Donato

katiep
11-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Hi Donato,
thank you for your advice.It has given me a confidence boost.
Katie

Keitht
11-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Donato is absolutely right Katie. Simply be honest and constructive in your comments and you won't go far wrong. If you think something hasn't worked for you explain what and why. For example you may think the main point of interest is too central. Say so and explain that a different viewpoint might have created a more balanced final result.
The 'tog may come back and say that standing 2 feet to the left would be difficult as there was a 100 foot drop!, but at least the conversation has been started :-)