PDA

View Full Version : How about slide duplicator?

inisheer
02-20-2004, 02:40 PM
Due to the high prices of film scanners and the very poor quality of photo CD's I got from labs, I think I will buy a slide duplicator. After mounting on the lens of your digital camera, it allows you to duplicate your slides or negatives, as if you were scanning them. Example here:
http://www.soligor.com/produkt.phtml?no=1212&sprache=e&id=1077279837662986

Has anyone used such a duplicator and can tell me about the quality of the results? I want a good output on screen and on a photo inkjet printer, I do not need higher quality.

xln
03-12-2004, 01:16 AM
Hi Fanny,

I own a Nikon Coolpix 5000, which I bought with a slide duplicator that is also made by Nikon. I can easily send you some photos that I have converted from Negatives (not slides) if you like. The originals are much much clearer, but it is certainly a cheaper option than getting a high end film scanner, and the quality is a bit better than using a regular scanner.

Another thing, you have to have the right light in order to use the scanner properly. I have found softer, indirect lighting to work best. Also keep in mind that your camera should be able to take very close up shots well.

Good luck, and any questions are welcome!

greg
03-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Hi Lynn!

I'd be very glad to see what kind of results you get from your duplicator - perhaps you could post such an image?

greg

inisheer
03-13-2004, 03:50 PM
Hi Lynn, thanks for answer

What do you mean by "very close up shots"? My camera can focus to 25cm, is it enough? I'd be very glad if you could mail me an example at fanny.schertzer@unifr.ch.

xln
03-16-2004, 10:28 PM
Dear Greg and Fanny,

The latest photo of Venice in my gallery is a photo taken in Venice with my Minolta, and then the negative was shot with my Nikon + slide adapter in shaded sunshine in Singapore (basically I pointed the camera out a window and found the best angle/ light)

You need a macro function on your camera, and mine can essentially take a picture of a page in a book (about 2cm away) clearly - ie. you can still read all the text.

Also, this is a useful article with good information, even if it is a bit old. http://www.imaging-resource.com/IRNEWS/archive/v02/20001103.htm#Copf

Hope that helps, and let me know if you need more info!

=) Lynn