PDA

View Full Version : Need Eastern Europe Advice

mimi
02-15-2004, 04:02 AM
I'm just getting started planning a trip to Eastern Europe this summer and would love to hear any insights or advice any of you have.

Currently, I have reservations to fly in and out of Prague, arriving June 2 and returning July 14. I have two possible routes in mind but this is very, very sketchy at this point. Route 1: Prague, Bratislava, Budapest, through Romania to the coast, ferry from Constanta to Istanbul, Turkish coast, ferry to Odessa, and fly back to Prague from Ukraine. I have a friend in the Ukraine, and if he can get vacation the same time that I'll be there, then this will be my route. If not, Route 2: Prague, Bratislava, Budapest, Zagreb, Croatian coast, ???

I've never travelled in E. Europe before, so any advice on must-see (especially off the tourist track) or don't-bother places would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance,
Mimi

piozac
02-15-2004, 08:13 PM
Croatian coast is definetly worth seeing...
It's very hard to choose, in every country you've listed are beautiful places, if you decide I can give you some advise.
I live in Poland, so I know Eastern Europe a bit.

mimi
02-15-2004, 08:22 PM
Hi Piotr - When my plans start to firm up, I'll definitely post some more specific questions. Thanks for your help.

Mimi

piozac
02-15-2004, 08:29 PM
I'm waiting for questions then... Bye

joso
03-01-2004, 04:36 PM
Nice trip you're planing, no matter which way you go.
If you will drive, you will need more time as for the same distance in the USA or western Europe, especially in Romania and along the croatian coast. In Croatia you have to accomodate first with the driving style, never else saw so many "selfmurders"... Drived two times the coast, the landscape is beautiful, but a bit crowdy and touristic.
About Romania - partially you will dive in the past, going back 100 or more years, especially in the outstanding places, like mountain villages, etc.
Prague, Bratislava, Budapest - almost like the west, but each of them has its particularity.
If you decide wich way you take, let me know, can give more details.

I'm hungarian, coming from Romania, living now in Germany
Regards
JŠnos

mimi
03-01-2004, 07:52 PM
Janos -- Thanks for your reply. I will definitely have more questions as the trip gets closer. Unfortunately, I can't make specific plans yet because I'm waiting to see if my Ukranian friend can meet me. He's in the Russian Navy and has no control over his vacation time, so I'm stuck trying to plan my trip around the whims of the Russian Navy :(.

Anyway, I've been reading a lot about Romania lately and it looks very interesting to me. I wasn't planning to rent a car. I was just going to go by train and/or bus if necessary. Do you think a car is necessary?

Thanks,
Mimi

richpaulcol
03-10-2004, 10:25 PM
Hello.
I visited hungary and the czech republic last summer. A couple of places i would recomend are;
Kutna Hora in the czech republic, it is about 45min train trip from Prague. A very old town with two very impresive cathedrals but also an enormous catacombs which house the skeletons of 40,000 victims of the plague and civil wars. A very interresting place, reminisent of the catacombs in Paris.
Esztergom a town on the Hungarian Slovak border, it is on a short branch line off the main line from Bratislava to Budapest. There is an imposing Basilica (Cathedral) that over looks the Danube that seperates the two countries and provides spectacular views from the top. I can also recomend the whole area of the Danube bend in North Hungary as being very picturesque.

Hope this helps and I am sure you will have an amazing trip which ever journey you take.

Richard

mimi
03-11-2004, 09:03 AM
Hi Richard -- Thanks for your suggestions.

Mimi

nicO
04-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Hello Mimi,
I am from Romania and I'd recomend Sighisoara, Sibiu, Brasov as towns with lots of Medieval buildings. If you want to see something tipical you should see the monasteries from Nothern Moldavia (NE of Romania)or the Joyfull Cemetry (I do not know if it is the right translation)in Maramures.If you want to see a castle jewel then go and visit Peles Castle in Sinaia. There also some intresting places in Constanta too. In the nearby you can taste some good red wine from Murfatlar. Have a nice trip! And take care! nicO