PDA

View Full Version : To Adam: Cleaning Up Cambodia

mimi
02-04-2005, 09:48 AM
Hi Adam: Just noticed the following duplicates under Cambodia > West > Siem Reab:

Anghkor, Angkor, Angkor Temples, Siem Reap -- Angkor Temples, The Temples of Angkor, Angkor Wat (2)

Bantae Srae, Banteay Srei

Bayon, The Bayon

Siem Reap, Seim Reap, Siam Reap, Siem Reap District

Ta Prohm, Ta Promh, Wat Ta Phrom

Tonle Sap, Tonle Sap Lake

adam
02-04-2005, 10:06 AM
Before I consolidate them, can you let me know the correct ones? Thanks.

mimi
02-04-2005, 10:15 AM
I've seen different spellings for some of them. The book I'm looking at has the following:

Angkor Wat

Banteay Srei

The Bayon

Siem Reap

Ta Prohm

Tonle Sap is the name of the lake, I don't know if you want to include "lake" or not.

adam
02-04-2005, 10:27 AM
OK, this has been done; thanks for letting me know. I didn't consolidate Angkor and Angkor Wat because I wasn't sure whether Angkor Wat is actually a sub-section of Angkor.

mimi
02-04-2005, 09:21 PM
Thanks Adam . . . there are still a couple of duplicates:

Ta Phromh, Wat Ta Phromh

Siem, Siem Reab, Siem Reap

philip_coggan
02-05-2005, 03:02 AM
Angkor Wat is a sub-set of Angkor (it's a single temple within the larger Angkor site, which includes other temples like Bayon etc).

There's no single accepted set of transcriptions for Cambodian place-names. The ones you're using (spellings like Siem Reab instead of the more usual Siem Reap) come from the official government gazetteer, and are based on a French scholar's efforts to transcribe Khmer into the Latin alphabet. As there are 88 letters in the Khmer alphabet, and only 26 in the Latin one, he had quite a task. That rtanscriptoin didn't catch on, and isn't used outside a few government publications. If you stick to it, you'll have the authority of the Cambodian official spellings on your side, but people are going to come up with a whole host of different spellings based on what they see as touists (Batdambang against Battembang for example).

Tonle Sap means, literally, River Lake. River Lake Lake seems a bit excessive :).

adam
02-07-2005, 10:59 AM
OK, I moved all the 'Siem' locations to 'Siem Reap'. I have left the Wat locations separate from the non-Wat locations just in case. As Philip mentioned Angkor Wat vs. Angkor, it may be that Wat Ta Phromh is located within Ta Phromh?

philip_coggan
02-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Wat Ta Prohm and Ta Prohm are the same place.

"Angkor" means 'city', specifically a royal city, a capital. The site consists of a central square walled and moated city area, about a mile on each side, plus 70+ temples both inside and outside that city. The whole site, both insied the city wall and outsied, is commonly called Angkor. Angkor Wat ('city temple') is a very large temple just outside the walls. Apart from Angkor Wat, the prefix 'wat' is optional for any of the 70-odd temples.

Siem Reap is the modern town about 11 km away from Angkor. The name, incidentally, is about as offensive as the Cambodians could make it: it means "Siam Kneeling" (In the early 19th century the Siamese managed to get control of Angkor - the French forced them to give it back, hence the name of the modern provincial capital).

philip_coggan
02-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Phnom Bakheng Angkor - should be just Phnom Bakheng.

Roluos temple - just Roluos will do.

The Bayon - just Bayon, no 'the'.

Overall for Cambodia, I don't understand why you divided it into east and west - the Cambodians themselves don't divide it into anything other than provinces, not officially.

adam
02-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks for pointing this out; These changes have been made.

As for dividing it into east and west, due to the way this site is organized, 'regions' needed to be designated. For some countries this makes sense, i.e. Japan, and France, and for some countries it doesn't, like Cambodia. If there is a more intuitive way to designate such regions please let me know.