PDA

View Full Version : Canon's Err 99 & Tamron 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR LD

rabani
02-01-2005, 05:49 AM
I'm stumped.
I have been shooting the Rebel with the Tamron 28-300mm XR for over a year now. It has been easy. Composed and shoot. The last time I checked my portfolio, I have taken well over 10,000 photos in 2004 with the Tamron. From aperture F/3.6 right up to F/22.

Until last week.
It is fine if the aperture is 6.3. But anything above that, I got Err 99 and a dull click instead of a full shutter release sound. On Googling Err 99 + Canon, it was liked opening a can of worms. Err 99 was everywhere from Canon 10D, Canon 300D and 20D even. And the blames on 3rd party lenses like Sigma's and one or two from Tamron's.

Anyone here knows what going on with Err 99 and how to resolve this. I'm lucky because I can still shoot with the Tamron at F/6.3 and at faster aperture but I've read posting with worst issues.

Regards
Rabani

olli
02-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Hi, Rabani
I had the same problem with my Rebel and Sigma 105 Macro lens (with same Err 99). I took the lens to my local Camera Shop and they sent it to the Sigma´s import dealer here in Finland. The lens just needed "updating" and after a month I got it back. Now the lens works with Rebel and the import dealer did the updating for free(!).

Regards,
Olli

AdrianW
02-01-2005, 04:52 PM
In this case I suspect that the aperture on the lens is sticking. It might be worth cleaning the contacts on the lens/camera just in case though...

Do you have any other lenses or camera bodies you can try it with?

olli
02-02-2005, 08:13 AM
Sorry, I misunderstood your problem. I quess Adrian must be right – I hope.
Well, perhaps it´s possible that the part of the lens that needed updating in my case is broken in your lens...

rabani
02-02-2005, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the feed back Adrian.
Yes I have 3 more lens; Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 and Cano EF 50mm F/1.8. I have tested these three at the same setting which had caused Err 99 with the Tamron and they were fine.

I'd clean the contacts too. Still coming out Err 99 when the Tamron is looking at F 11. As long as I maintained aperture between F3.5 to F6.3, the Canon won't freeze.

I wonder whether those thousands of Drebel have this Err 99 coming out lately?
Thanks Adrian.

rabani
02-02-2005, 09:22 AM
Hie Olli,
I'm not sure Olli. I have heard about "rechipping" lens but that is for "old" lens which doesn't work with new cameras. The problem with mine is, Err 99 is coming in after over a year shooting. I bought it together with the Rebel, and I have taken photos at F11 and higher before (F22) and no problem.

In a way, you are right. It could be the Tamron. Switching aperture to higher than F6.3 must be "jamming" something in the lens.

Thanks for the idea Olli.
Regards
Bani

AdrianW
02-02-2005, 12:27 PM
Err 99 is a fairly "catch all" error message, basically the camera is telling you there's something wrong which will impact your ability to take photographs.

In this case it appears to be telling you that your lens is faulty - that's not a problem with the DRebel, it'll happen whichever camera you attach the lens to! Just be grateful it's actually warning you there's a problem ;)

Sometimes if you dismantle the lens and actuate the aperture a couple of times <i>manually</i> this sort of thing will clear up (if it's just sticking blades), but it's usually a job for the service department - Sigma charge around 75GBP for fixing it out of warranty.