PDA

View Full Version : Comments or critiques??

skeelerik
01-16-2005, 04:25 PM
Hi everybody,

My name is Erik (skeelerik). I am surfing around on TE now for about ten days. In order to improve my pictures, I expect to get some useful tips. But however I feel myself insecure to critisize on someones pic, because I don't think I'm technically able to do so, I would rather not add any comment like "Nice shot" or "Beautifull picture". I thought that was also the intention of the side. I hope to get some reactions. How do you feel about it??
CU'
Erik

Maru
01-16-2005, 05:10 PM
Hi Erik, I understand your feelings. Reading other members critiques will help you a lot; I also remember that some days ago a critique tutorial was loaded (I believed it was in the general forum, so browse a bit there); but, at one point, you just have to start making your own critiques on the others photos and feedback will start :)
Regards,
Marisa

robertspotswood
01-16-2005, 11:47 PM
<i>...I would rather not add any comment like "Nice shot" or "Beautifull picture"...</i>

Personally, I think there is nothing wrong with doing this, *PROVIDED* they are labeled as comments and not critiques. Occassionally I do this for the more spectacular pictures I come across where I can't find anything to critique.

seneca77
01-22-2005, 08:43 AM
Hi Erik,
I was a little reluctant to give critiques at first, and I've been a serious amateur photographer for twenty years. But what I found after doing a few is that the process of critiquing someone else's photos improves your own work tremendously. Even if you love the photo you're critiquing and can find nothing wrong with it, tell the person why you like it so much, in as much detail as you can.

What is it about the composition that impresses you? How do the colors complement each other? Is there a striking pattern repeated in the photo, or some elements in the picture that are pleasing to the eye? How's the depth of field? How does the point of view affect the subject?

By putting into words what you like or don't like in a photo, you begin to consciously think about the same things when you're composing your own photos in the viewfinder. Instead of just snapping away, which is sometimes a temptation if you're using digital, you think about each image and if it works or not.

So don't be shy! Start critiquing!

- Bob