PDA

View Full Version : From where does "Not useful criticism" Starts?

Nodding_view
05-13-2003, 02:31 PM
Here a question.

From which point do you claim that a criticism isn't useful.
I saw many people who click on "not useful" when they are criticized hardly or when they have a "0-point Smile".

Where's the point?
If you're on this website, you're here for learn some things on photo.
You're not the genious acting. If you are, you should be in a gallery, not on a website.

I Tell you that because in 3 days, I have three times more "Bad criticism" than before. Weird.
I know that i put many "0-point smile", but i don't know how do you juge that it isn't useful.
To my mind, it is useful when you add a comment, that can learn more to the photographer.
I try to make each time this effort. And where does the site goes if you just mark photoes when it's beautiful, and you just comment :" Beautiful, you're a genius". To me, it's not a useful criticism, it's a congratulation, but not a useful one.

What do you think about it?

Porteplume
05-13-2003, 04:36 PM
Bonjour Matt,

I've read your comments and they seem well written, honest & to-the-point.
What I don't understand is how you can see the "not useful" clicks?
You can see your own ratings given to others' critiques (on the right, beside their comments), but I think it's impossible to see how others think about your critiques...
From FAQ:

<i>"The gold and silver star denotes a highly rated member critiquer. Each time a member marks a fellow member's critique as Useful, the critiquer receives one point. One point is subtracted if the critique is marked Not Useful. If the total Useful points received minus the total Not Useful points are 50 or higher, the member is designated a Gold Star critiquer and a gold star is placed next to their name. If the points are 10 or higher, a member is designated a Silver Star critiquer"</i>

Amicalement - Viviane

AdrianW
05-13-2003, 04:38 PM
Critiquing is a difficult balance. Some people here are experienced photographers with very expensive hardware, others picked up their first (low cost) camera last week.

I think you need to encourage those who are just starting out, and try and find the merit in a shot - welcoming someone to the site with a yellow face doesn't achieve this IMO. That said, I very rarely hand out yellow faces, but I don't mark them as "not useful" if I recieve them.

If you're just starting out then "Beautiful shot" is useful - it encourages them to take more pictures! Praise is encouragement, and if the only other input you have is yourself it can make a big difference. It still makes a difference to me today!

My first shots were dreadful - partly because I had no idea about composition, and partly because I was using a Kodak Disc camera. It took me years to recover when a pro told me that I was "hopeless" and "I'd never amount to anything"... I was ten at the time, and I stopped taking photographs for a year as a result!

mdchachi
05-13-2003, 06:06 PM
Yes I don't understand your comment either. I don't think you can see how people judge the critiques and whether or not they are useful.

BobTrips
05-13-2003, 06:57 PM
Good post Adrian.

For me the least useful critiques are one that just offer praise. They feel good, but I learn nothing from them. (I'm differentiating between "Great Picture!" and "Great Picture because ....").

rziya
05-13-2003, 09:45 PM
I personally prefer negative critiques for improvement " A better crop could be...." "The rock is excess" "If only there was not that much red",....

But sometimes, before making a print or selecting a new photo for my portfolio I just need to see/feel how people like the photo, how it rates within my and others portfolio. In that case I even appreciate empty critiques with just faces.

Nodding_view
05-14-2003, 06:21 PM
You mean "Which way I used to show how many critics were marked"?
When you click on your star, you can see you score :)

Nodding_view
05-14-2003, 06:32 PM
To me, a yellow face is very interesting. It helps you to search what's is harmful in your photo.
A Big Smile face makes me very happy of course, but i think if you mark too many photos with a 2points Smile, you put down the "power" of the smile. I mean, a 2pointsmile will not be worth a real 2point Smile.
I personaly mark a little number of "Big smile" and it's reserved to the photos that charms me. a simple smile for the photos which are pretty but not very "fine". A Flat composition well colored for example.
and a Yellow smile for the photos which have a problem to me.

I'm ok with you rziya except for the second part of your contribution. I prefer no see the comment of the others to make my Own opinion on the photo. It's natural, and not influenced by the comment :)

sita4ram
05-14-2003, 07:15 PM
forget about their ranking to your critiques. get a sliver star, get a gold star or get nothing at all... doesnt matter.

as long as you stand behind your critics, your score is irrelevant.
because I have seen some just give the 'exchange' smilies. im sure its not your cup of tea, so once you figured out what are your standards, dump the ranking for critics thing. you cant controll the mentality of other people.

I think your critics are great btw. (havent seen all of them, but from what I remember)